• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Current PC > Where should I upgrade first?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suppressor1137

Here's my current pc, down to every part minus fans, because i didnt want to put the same 140 mm fan in 6 times lol.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dqnGd6

I feel the biggest upgrade I can do is video card, but I am only having issues with fps in games like Black Desert with my 1080p monitor resolution. I can't max every game and get a solid 60 fps anymore, but I don't see a noticeable difference between High/max anyways, So no real loss there.

More SSD space is a big consideration, and I want to get that 960 evo m.2 drive, but that's prohibitively expensive right now, and more than likely, overkill.

And the only other thing would be more ram. I have 8 gigs of DDR4 3000 cl...16? Which seems to be plenty for right now. /shrug

I don't know what I should upgrade first, if at all.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
gpu. What is your budget?

If in the $250 ballpark, get either a gtx1060 6gb or a rx480 8gb. both will serve you well.

for the ssd, unless you are a superfast booy addict, add a 250/500 gb 850 evo drive.

My budget is around the $300 range right now, but on the first, it will be ~ 450.

Is a 1060 that much of a step up from the 770? I've been researching that card a bit, but nothing really in depth. Memory excluded ofc. Vram is and has always been the major limiting factor for performance. Skyrim destroys my fps if i so much as think of using a texture pack. lol.

If I do buy a card, I'll put up a classified for my old gtx 770. The worst it has seen was a 300 mhz overclock on the memory and a 9% core speed overclock. It has been running stock settings after I hit the oc ceiling without touching voltages, for about a year now.

And my boot time right now is a mere 6-9 seconds to windows. I want more ssd space for gaming though. I eventually want to get a pure SSD system for noise purposes, but 1tb of ssd is still expensive lol.

EDIT: and the gtx 1060 6gb is overall 50% faster than my 770. Jeeze. Technology man.

Last edited:
a 1060 games with a 980, big boost for you, but get a 6 gig card.
an ssd can help in games, I had games on a spinner and could watch the hdd led when it was stuttering, got an ssd and that stutter is history and boot and load times are great.

I'm leaning towards EVGA here, but curious about their various versions of the card. Space isn't an issue for the bigger pcb cards. Zotac is off the list of vendors though. Baaaaaaad experience with zotac here.(460 artifacts after a year of mild/moderate use)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814487260 - ACX Single cooler, smaller card. No reason to get SC version, right? The SC version to my knowledge is just a higher factory clock? The rest is marketing, no?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814487261 - ACX Single SC edition.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814487280 - ACX 3.0 dual fan configuration, longer pcb

And no,I will likely not be overclocking the card, so the ftw edition seems overkill to me. The system is more than capable to handle it, but I'd just rather not deal with it. Noise is my primary concern.

I may pick up a second one for 2 way sli in the near future for performance boosting. My kingwin Lazer 850w is way more than enough for it(Though I've had it since 5/6/11, so a evga G3-4 will be in my sights soon to avoid potential catastrophic failure.)

Grb any EVGA: you won,t get any higher overclock fro one to the other. All silent.

Stop thinking, start acting!

Just joking pal!

GTX 1060 is like 3 770's lol bro you will lose your mind upgrading to a 1060 or 1070 seriously even an rx 480 the evo ssd's are great i have one i dont use it my sandisc extreme pro is faster i dont use it either i had a pny 240 gb i got off amazon for 60 bucks that was damn near as fast as both I mentioned above for half the price if youre getting a sata ssd get a cheapo pny or kingston or crucial

I wish I bought a smaller psu. lol "I'm gonna buy this 770, then another in a year for sli!" One year lateeur... "I can't find a gtx 770 anywhere!!"

I may just get the 1060. I really want to wait till the new gen comes out though. If I keep waiting though, I'll be waiting till the next generation after that lolololol

Yup, these days you get a good year. I had the 980 for a year sold it got the 1080. 1060 is great for 1080p but my friend just sold his and got the 8gb rx 480 and is much happier with it. If you want to future proof I'd go with the 1070. You can find them all over the place now for under 400. And they are the best value right now for sure. I had one for a couple weeks before I took it back for the 1080 and on my 1440p monitor, wish I would have kept the 1070. It it a beast for the price. I have an 850 watt psu. I don't need it either. I don't really need half the stuff I have but when I get mad and fed up with my PC I wanna be able to have enough power to make the mother ****** explode. Not just set it on fire.

I would go for the GTX 1070 for future games.

only games I have on my horizons at the moment are: Lost Ark, Star Citizen, Kerbal Space Program, Rocket League, Diablo 3(maybe), and Space Engineers from time to time. Star citizen is forced to use low/med on my 770, so that would be the most intensive game I'd be playing for a while.

Oh ya you're golden with the 1060. But if you are the type who is even possibly thinking of adding a second gpu down the road get the rx 480

I would go 770 now, but budgets are bitterly short. Stupid Car!

Interesting question: If i were to go AMD, is a reformat necessary for driver stability? I mean, sure, if I knew my way around the registry, no, but I'm about as comfortable as a 260 pound man in a small Cessna sitting next to the 280 pound pilot. In case you didn't know, It isn't comfortable. lmfao

No it is not. I would use Revo uninstaller and get rid of the Geforce experience and drivers and Install the Amd drivers. That's it. Uninstaller Nvidia drivers install amd

Knowing me, I'd probably consider getting another 770 if I could find a used one on the cheap. However, given as GPUs have gone a long way toward lower power consumption recently, I think selling it and buying a single modern card would probably be more sensible economically (accumulated power bill…). Now is still a good time to sell a 770 as an alternative to 960, before it gets too old. Besides, at 1080p something like 3, 4, let alone 6 or 8 GB on a single card is probably going to be much more efficient than multiing a 2GB card, not to mention that Crossfire 480 might be viable when you eventually buy a 4K monitor. With the kind of beefy PSU you have, I'd probably skip 1060, just to leave the SLI/CF option on the table for the future.

Next, you don't really need to upgrade your SSD to either M.2/PCIE4 or higher capacity urgently, but if you could find a cheap four-lane PCIE 250GB one like I did (well under €/$100 — there was a short window of opportunity for Samsung SM951s half a year ago where I buy my stuff), then doing so would free up your current system SSD for 3 or 4 additional games on top of doubling the SSD capacity you already have on your sysdrive right now. Meaning several games or most often used applications on SSD, and only data and rarely used applications on your magnetic drives. Meaning less noise and vibration, fewer partitions, less space management, more comfort. Your next mobo could be one with two M.2 slots, so having only 250GB on one of those two drives wouldn't be a large problem (and you could focus on speed more than capacity in any case).

What else? If you have some cash to burn but not tons of it (or just no pressure), I personally find fans to be a good way to spend it while killing some time tinkering. That is, if you can find something that's really strong and really quiet/less unpleasant to your ear, which you probably just have to test because everybody's tolerance levels are obviously different and measured dbAs are only one part of it. A household name and huge price tag isn't a guarantee, while some mid-range priced units surprisingly turn out to be quite the overachievers, so there's some trial by error — again, a tinkering project if you have the time. Incidentally, just a little better case temps or dissipation can go some way toward using your GPU fans less intensively, which makes them more bearable and lasts you longer before you glitch out after a long gaming session. Obviously useful in ranked multiplayer.

I don't think RAM is a priority, but there are already games that recommend 16GB.

Last edited:
Knowing me, I'd probably consider getting another 770 if I could find a used one on the cheap. However, given as GPUs have gone a long way toward lower power consumption recently, I think selling it and buying a single modern card would probably be more sensible economically (accumulated power bill…). Now is still a good time to sell a 770 as an alternative to 960, before it gets too old. Besides, at 1080p something like 3, 4, let alone 6 or 8 GB on a single card is probably going to be much more efficient than multiing a 2GB card, not to mention that Crossfire 480 might be viable when you eventually buy a 4K monitor. With the kind of beefy PSU you have, I'd probably skip 1060, just to leave the SLI/CF option on the table for the future.

Next, you don't really need to upgrade your SSD to either M.2/PCIE4 or higher capacity urgently, but if you could find a cheap four-lane PCIE 250GB one like I did (well under €/$100 — there was a short window of opportunity for Samsung SM951s half a year ago where I buy my stuff), then doing so would free up your current system SSD for 3 or 4 additional games on top of doubling the SSD capacity you already have on your sysdrive right now. Meaning several games or most often used applications on SSD, and only data and rarely used applications on your magnetic drives. Meaning less noise and vibration, fewer partitions, less space management, more comfort. Your next mobo could be one with two M.2 slots, so having only 250GB on one of those two drives wouldn't be a large problem (and you could focus on speed more than capacity in any case).

What else? If you have some cash to burn but not tons of it (or just no pressure), I personally find fans to be a good way to spend it while killing some time tinkering. That is, if you can find something that's really strong and really quiet/less unpleasant to your ear, which you probably just have to test because everybody's tolerance levels are obviously different and measured dbAs are only one part of it. A household name and huge price tag isn't a guarantee, while some mid-range priced units surprisingly turn out to be quite the overachievers, so there's some trial by error — again, a tinkering project if you have the time. Incidentally, just a little better case temps or dissipation can go some way toward using your GPU fans less intensively, which makes them more bearable and lasts you longer before you glitch out after a long gaming session. Obviously useful in ranked multiplayer.

I don't think RAM is a priority, but there are already games that recommend 16GB.

Appreciate the advice.

Some unexpected costs came up yesterday, and now the gpu is off the table until the first. Gotta love starters on cars tho. $100 later...

With that in mind, I'm going to just get the 1070 or amd equiv, whichever is a better performing card at the price.

Here's to hoping lol. :beer:

Out of curiosity, what would my 770 go for nowadays? given its performance equivilance to a 960, I'm guessing $120 to compensate for the age of the hardware? Edit: I see one used for $119.99, and mine is confirmed working, as I'm using it right now lol. My guess was pretty spot on.

:)

If you're staying at 1080p IMO the 1060/480 is enough. If you plan to ever go higher/higher refresh rate, 1070/equiv or higher for sure. I'm on 1440p with a 1070. The 1060 would likely do the job for me to be honest but I decided to ball out on a 1070 instead so I can hopefully keep it for a long time. XD

Back