• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Current PC > Where should I upgrade first?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Out of curiosity, what would my 770 go for nowadays? given its performance equivilance to a 960, I'm guessing $120 to compensate for the age of the hardware? Edit: I see one used for $119.99, and mine is confirmed working, as I'm using it right now lol. My guess was pretty spot on.

:)
Looking like $50-160 on ebay. Most in the $80-125 range, but I have seen a few go in the $140-160 range.

Okay, here are some pics

20170204_165113.jpg 20170204_165201.jpg 20170204_165247.jpg 20170204_165328.jpg

Two things I'm noticing.

HW Monitor isn't reading right.

VIN0 is showing...uhhh...1110360.250 VOLTS. OBV wrong. Would have a lightning show with that much power.

And temps at Idle is 56C. Both fans confirmed spinning.

Drivers are installed to the latest set.

Nvidia drivers are uninstalled completely from the system;

What Overclocking software should I use? MSI Afterburner is what I'm looking at atm.

Going to grab realtemp too to crossreference temps.

Any other software recommendations?

EDIT:
Upped fan speed to 60% fan speed, temps dropped to 25c and holding*ambient is about 23c*

Turns out, the fans were in ultra low power mode, 0 rpms reported to HWmon.

MSI afterburner isn't seeing voltage*or I'm looking in the wrong place for them.*

Fans are pretty loud even at 60%, but not too bad. My 770 was worse for sure.

EDIT 2:

MSI Reporting 1087-956 mV, so its only HWmon that is getting confused. About to start up a game I KNOW I lagged in on medium, and crank it up :bday:

Last edited:
Most aftermarket coolers run 0 db mode. I wouldn't be worried letting it idle at 0. It won't hurt lol.

MSI Afterburner is fine. I use it too.

And results:

Not one game I play lagged in the slightest. 60 fps flat. No need for oc just yet.

Woot! :)

Rocket League, Space Engineers(my 770 couldn't run that game at medium with consistent 60 fps, this can max it), and Project Cars, all maxxed out.

I'll be trying Star Citizen and maybe Black Desert tomorrow, but those three are my main games.

GTA 5 Absolute max... 18 fps. ROFL

Them super scaled textures and mega rendered shadows doe! I couldn't even see GTAV at max on my 770, so we are advancing in the right direction!

Yeah. That's a game where I have to tone down the shadows a bit to enjoy a static 60 fps.

Anyone got some good settings I could go off of for performance>=Eyecandy ratios?

Not entirely sure which settings give the least eyecandy for the biggest performance hit.

Yeah, I'm finding its pretty legit. Currently looking into what other rx480's are scoring on benchmarks to see how I compare to make sure it is functioning as it should.

I'm getting over 100 FPS in project cars, the free Steam pagini edition, that is. Settings are on high quality and I'm using the Rx 480 4gb version. Man, the steering is way to quick on that car. Hard to keep it between the lines and I've adjusted the sensitivity settings for the steering. It uses up to 100% of my GPU and up to 91% of my 6600k CPU power.

I don't know about the free version, but you should be able to loosen the steering further in the tuning options before a race is started in the garage for that car. Some cars are VERY touchy and require tuning in that regard to stop over-steering and spinouts where you expect a sharp turn.

I'm only using a Dualshock 4 atm. My wheel budget was blown on the video card till next paycheck(or if someone buys my old 770 sooner) though a 500 gig ssd is mighty tempting :)

I was curious if you had good settings for GTA V tho. Maximum eyecandy for minimal performance slapping.

I don't know about the free version, but you should be able to loosen the steering further in the tuning options before a race is started in the garage for that car. Some cars are VERY touchy and require tuning in that regard to stop over-steering and spinouts where you expect a sharp turn.

I'm only using a Dualshock 4 atm. My wheel budget was blown on the video card till next paycheck(or if someone buys my old 770 sooner) though a 500 gig ssd is mighty tempting :)

I was curious if you had good settings for GTA V tho. Maximum eyecandy for minimal performance slapping.

I'm just using a knock off Xbox 1 controller. Maybe that's part of the problem. I should try different cars.

I find it hard to believe GTA5 isn't playing ball at max settings? I didn't think it was THAT intensive..??

advanced graphic settings are probably meant for sli-xfire systems.

texture upscaling, I can actually use up all 8 gigs of vram in that game with everything maxxed. :p

combined with shadows and high res textures, the gpu just starts to choke.

testing more in depth today, give myself a baseline to work with, then begin the oc process.

The card is quite loud at 100%, so an OC that doesn't need that would be nice. What's the max safe temps and volts for 24/7 operation?

I've been doing some research on the side, and I've been seeing 95c and 1.25v volts, but wanted to confirm those numbers before proceeding.

EDIT: removed tex upscaling and fps soared to 60 flat. Yeesh that wreaks havoc :p

You need a wheel with force feeedback, really!

Entry level driving force GT does a decent job.

And I plan on buying a logitech g920 wheel, or the g29, not entirely sure which yet, since the good ol' g27 is scattered to the winds and expensive as all hell.

Last edited:
Back