• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom filters?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

t1nm4n

Seeing how I didn't make the filter media not sure I can call this a custom job, I do think I might be the first to post this attempt though. I shall throw you all a bone to keep you interested though first.

View attachment 159917

No I did not leave all that slop, this was a test fit.

Ok, so you got a taste, now lets get on the boring stuff (jibberish coming from my fingertips). I used to Race R/C cars and trucks and this company made this really nice woven plastic filter media, did a spectacular job at keeping the oiled filters on my off-roads buggy and truggy super clean, even in the dustiest of tracks I didn't have to change the filter for an entire day, and only did so out of habit. This company was Outerwears.com. Now that I threw some props to someone I'm not getting a discount from I feel better about myself :cry:.

I did forget to take pictures of the stock filter or the 900D top filter prior to ripping it up, needless to say it was just some lousy screen mesh glued on there. That media let all sorts of dust through and My lil AiO cooler is dirty :/, oh well, the whole system is gonna get a cooling upgrade one of these days.

So to talk about the Outerwears filter media, its a pretty stiff plastic, which probably has more to do with the tightness of the weave, and you can order it in 24x24 square or 18x18. It's best to cut with a hot-knife so to seal the weave from untangling, I did not do this for the top filter since it's sandwiched and I glued it to the plastic portion of the filter housing, but for the front filter I will be using a hot-knife (here I come Hobby Lobby. There's always more money to spend when you want to get something done right and make it look professional, I have done so many things half-asses that I t pains me to think of how much I would of saved doing it right the first time, but how else to you learn?

IMG_06481.jpg

IMG_06471.jpg

IMG_06491.jpg

IMG_06511.jpg

So final product turned out darned clean if I do say so myself. I will update with front filter pics as I get that part of the mob completed. And I know black/red has been beat to death, but I like it.

Edit : order of pics, and fixed a weird pic showing up.

Last edited:
Thank you, hopefully it will yield better results then the mesh media that came with the case.

Went and got a hot-knife from the local hobby store and started to work on the front filter. The top was so much easier.

Cleaned up the front filter so that none of the metal mesh was left and none of the glue they used remained, taped off the wings cause I believe as stiff as this material is, it will be easier to do this in pieces rather than one piece and try to get the sharp bends in there.

IMG_06521.jpg

IMG_06531.jpg

This was a oversized piece I cut from the large square so that it was easier to work with. Can't really Iron this stuff flat, well you could is you put something as a buffer between the iron and the material, but I didn't think of that until posting this update. So I just taped it up to stretch it as much as possible, then took measurements of the plastic front cover and marked it out on the tape.

IMG_06541.jpg

IMG_06551.jpg

It came really close to a perfect fit, just a lil movement of my hand while holding the straight edge and the flex of the material left me a bit too much material, but that was easy enough to fix and get a nice fit.

IMG_06561.jpg

Rear of frontfilter.jpg

All in all it turned out pretty nice, just off to do the side wings of that front filter and that will be the tough ones. Any Ideas how to attach the filter media to the lower side doors, Not sure if I want to make them permanent, or removable. This spray glue I am using seems to be pretty easy to eel the material away for removal or to replace if something like a cat goes to scratching it for some reason.

Frontfilter.jpg

And a nice shot of the ghost drive I did, lowest 5.25 bay, didn't even have to disassemble the BD drive to get it to mount up nice and neat.

Back