• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Custom SATA cables

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
I've been thinking of this idea for some time now, and I finally got around attempting to create a custom cable. Yes, attempting. Tonight was a complete failure. I have some more parts on the way, to make this simpler.

Parts needed:
Straight SATA connectors (Mouser - 538-67489-8005; Manufacturer - 67489-8005)
or
90 degree SATA connectors (Mouser - 538-67489-1005; Manufacturer - 67489-1005)

Small solid wire (Mouser - 566-9976-100-10; Manufacturer - 9976 010100)
Very small heatshrink (Mouser - 602-221364-4BK; Manufacturer - FIT221B3/64 BK100)
A lot of patience (Mouser - ????????; Manufacturer - You)

------------------

As mentioned, this is a failed attempt, but I learned from it which should (hopefully) make next time cleaner. For this attempt, I'm using the straight SATA connector with 20" 26 AWG solid core wire. If you attempt this, I would strongly suggest solid core as it is much easier to work with.

Here is the equipment I used. One of the alligator clips on the holding tool has heatshrink over each half. This makes it grip a lot better and prevents it from cutting into materials (wire).
sata_attempt1_1.JPG

Close-up of the soon-to-be-mangled SATA connectors.
sata_attempt1_2.JPG

20 inches of 26 AWG solid core wire cut and ready to go. Since my wire stripper couldn't do 26 AWG wire, I had to use the cutters on it instead.
sata_attempt1_3.JPG

Close-up of the victim SATA connector.
sata_attempt1_4.JPG

First wire attached. I put solder on the bare wire and used the soldering tip to move the blob around and coat it. I then heated up the blob and "flicked" it off so there was very little solder left on the wire. I held the tinned wire in place and simply held the soldering tip on for a few seconds to solder them together.
sata_attempt1_5.JPG

I used the tool to also hold my solder. Made this much easier. I also realized that my glasses are in the picture, nice.
sata_attempt1_6.JPG

Close-up of the finished soldering job. You can see on the right side where I melted a bit of the plastic. I didn't see it and ended up hitting it with the soldering iron a few times. I'll learn for next time.
sata_attempt1_7.JPG

But Thideras, those look great, how is that a failure?

First, I hit the connector with the iron. While this doesn't impede on connecting it to a controller or hard drive, it looks bad and shows how inexperienced I am with this type of connector. To fix this, I'll simply solder it in reverse order and flip the connector around. The second I didn't take a picture of because I didn't think of it. One of the wires did come undone, but that wasn't helped by me attempting to mash on the wrong sized heatshrink. Which brings me to the next part, you need really small heatshrink for this. I used 1/16" and it was far too large (easily 2x). I ordered 3/64" tonight, to see if that will work better.

This portion is the easy part. The other side of the connector has to be assembled before I can solder it. Meaning, I have to have the sleeving for the cable, heatshrink for each wire and heatshrink for the sleeving. I could see this being near-impossible on short cables.

Last edited:
You say failure, I say learning.

I have been using your sleeve guides for a while now and must say when it comes to cables your names pop up first and always!

Can't wait to see the finished work, I may attempt it myself down the road.

As you already know, take your time and don't rush it :D

Thank you, I'm glad to hear I'm helping at least one person!

Fedex says the heatshrink will arrive next Wednesday.

You might want to try shorting the stripped end so that it does not be come a weak point because of the solder... Awesome job by the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weller WES51

Good minds... :)

I've done tons of DIY Pro-Audio gear and hundreds of XLR and 1/4" cables with my WES51, but I don't think I'd attempt making my own SATA cables. You are a brave man :) You are very close - second time is a charm :D

:cool:

You might want to try shorting the stripped end so that it does not be come a weak point because of the solder... Awesome job by the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is actually very short. Those are roughly 1/4" stripped. Compare it with a SATA connector that you have.

Good minds... :)

I've done tons of DIY Pro-Audio gear and hundreds of XLR and 1/4" cables with my WES51, but I don't think I'd attempt making my own SATA cables. You are a brave man :) You are very close - second time is a charm :D

:cool:
Agreed, this is an extremely good unit.

When I use to work with thin wire , I would strip the end long and then tin the end ... Then just cut off whatever you don't need off and your all set and this also help to not melt the insulation to much..

Attachments

• sata_attempt1_7.JPG
    sata_attempt1_7.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,510
I was talking about that area as well. It is small enough that it might melt the insulation.

I can try, regardless. I'm actually pretty terrible when it comes to small soldering.

I was talking about that area as well. It is small enough that it might melt the insulation.

I can try, regardless. I'm actually pretty terrible when it comes to small soldering.

Well perfect practice, make perfect... The more you do the better you become with stuff like this... But I can't wait for more updates with this .... Subscribed

are you going to shield them extra?
supposedly internal sata cables have no shield but externals do?
they use "differential signaling" ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_signaling so that is the method to "seperate" the signal from any noise.

I cant find many pics of the cable apart :-( and dont have an extra or i would look
http://metku.net/index.html?path=mods/baby-sata/index_eng2
but this one shows a hint of a single aluminum wrap?

http://www.techcable.com/HTML/TCC-HIGH-QUALITY-SATA.pdf
then here they show what looks like the same shield wrap with the signals sheilded and the shield tied to the ground.

That is really good soldering there to be doing that tiny stuff by hand, and this is all very interesting.

add to your list really tiny solder, it can help with really tiny stuff.

Last edited:
I don't intend to shield them. That is a bit more than I can do.

Back