• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cutting down on active services.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skeith

I Currently have 40 services running, 41 including taksmanager.

This is far too many for my liking. I would like to cut down to 32 or less. I was able to do this on my desktop no problem and on my desktop Im running extra services like LCD smartie, and ABIT monitor. However on my laptop no matter how many things I disable it wont drop below 40.

Here is what I have running.

untitled.jpg

Go into msconfig and stop the ones you want from starting at Windows load.

Start > Run > msconfig (incase you didn't know already)

Ive tried that, I cant disable a whole lot more from there, My intel wirless adaptor needs like 4 services.

Skeith said:
Ive tried that, I cant disable a whole lot more from there, My intel wirless adaptor needs like 4 services.

4? I have the intel wireless on my laptop, all thats running is the microsoft wireless config.

SavageBasher said:
4? I have the intel wireless on my laptop, all thats running is the microsoft wireless config.

I tried using the microsoft wireless config but I cant get it to connect to my network with the the SSID not broadcasting.

instead of using style xp u can use the patch uxtheme that support skins so u dont need style xp
The styleXP service is the least of my worries it only used 3.5MB. But I will look into the patch, can you supply a link?

The real question: Is it actually too slow?
Slower than it should be. It is eating up quite a bit of ram, and when I start doing memory intensive operations it laggs a bit.

Skeith said:
I tried using the microsoft wireless config but I cant get it to connect to my network with the the SSID not broadcasting.

The styleXP service is the least of my worries it only used 3.5MB. But I will look into the patch, can you supply a link?

Slower than it should be. It is eating up quite a bit of ram, and when I start doing memory intensive operations it laggs a bit.

Yea, but having the services running isn't necessarily the problem. The way to check is by opening task manager and viewing your peak memory usage. If that number goes above your physical ram then freeing memory may help some, if not then disabling services will just reduce functionality in your computer.

Edit: Download uxtheme.dll here http://www.softpedia.com/get/Deskto.../UXTheme-Patch-For-Windows-XP-SP2-Final.shtml
follow the directions for installation. You can then use many 3rd party themes with less overhead.

You say you have 40 services running, but yet you're referring to the screen shot that you posted of the 'Processes' tab in Task Manager... I'm confused.

When I manage my services. I don't use msconfig. I prefer to use the service manager.

Run | services.msc

Some of the services I leave on manual so it can turn on if the need is there. Some are flat out disabled. Some are always on(automatic). It depends what I am needing at the time and the role the machine has.

Skeith said:
I meant processes, but I am trying to cut back on services to reduce memory load.

You meant processes but you want to reduce services? So slash the ones that take the most memory? (Services are all stacked into the SVCHost instances.)

What's WLKEEPER good for? 13MB right there. NMBGMonitor? 6MB. Do you actually USE the Application Layer Gateway for anything that it's good for? If not, shut that off for 3,7MB. S24EvMon, is that worth 12,7MB? And 15,6MB for ZCfgSvc, that's huge. Your IE uses a normal amout of memory, but you may be able to do something about it by switching to FireFox or Opera. Your Explorer is a bit large at 33MB - I don't use Explorer at all, but replaced it with GeoShell for UI and Total Commander instances for file operations (and basically everything else).

Thing is I don't even know what half of your stuff is. Is this a pre-built system that you're trying to strip down, or do you actually have an idea what these things are?

Another thing: All the CLI.exe's and such from ATI CCC. Unistall your ATI drivers, run Driver Cleaner, then install just the ATI display drivers and use ATI Tray Tools for directx/opengl configuration and you can cut that nasty .NET mess out.

When looking at processes for removal I always use Hijackthis and upload a log for auto-analysis at www.hijackthis.de/en .

piotrr said:
You meant processes but you want to reduce services? So slash the ones that take the most memory? (Services are all stacked into the SVCHost instances.)

What's WLKEEPER good for? 13MB right there. NMBGMonitor? 6MB. Do you actually USE the Application Layer Gateway for anything that it's good for? If not, shut that off for 3,7MB. S24EvMon, is that worth 12,7MB? And 15,6MB for ZCfgSvc, that's huge. Your IE uses a normal amout of memory, but you may be able to do something about it by switching to FireFox or Opera. Your Explorer is a bit large at 33MB - I don't use Explorer at all, but replaced it with GeoShell for UI and Total Commander instances for file operations (and basically everything else).

Thing is I don't even know what half of your stuff is. Is this a pre-built system that you're trying to strip down, or do you actually have an idea what these things are?
Was pre-built, Its the Inspiron in my siggy, but I formatted the HDD and installed windows freshly to get rid of all the extra dell crap on it. When I got it It originaly had like 60 processes running out of the box.

WLKeeper - part of Intel proset wireless ~13mb
S24EvMon - part of intel proset wireless ~12mb
ZCfgSvc - part of proset wireless ~15mb
dot1xcfg - pro set wireless crap again ~16mb
evteng - even more wireless crap ~12mb
ifrmewrk - more wireless ~17mb
(told ya guys that stupid intel driver thing uses too many processes.)

brss01a - part of printer driver (Brother MFC-420 or something)
brsvc01a - part of printer driver
ctfmon - MS user input crap I thought i disabled that.
NMBGMonitor - stupid nero thing that I keep disabling and it comes back
stsystra - sigmatel audio
CTsysvol - Volume controll for SB sound card. I might try uninstalling that to see if it will run on the windows sound controller.
Creativelicenseing - I tried disabling it but it came back, does it need to run in order for my sound card to work?

as far as ALG goes, i use the firewall. This is the only computer I have that I use it on.

Thats over 85MB of intel driver crap for my wireless adaptor.
I have tried the microsoft one but It will not see wireless connections unless the SSID is broadcasting. Plus its wizard based and I cant stand wizards.
Is there an update for microsofts wireless thing? I didnt see anything in windows update. Or is there a different third party network controller that I could use.

As for the CLI and driver info uninstalling the Catalyst only running the driver, could somone please point me in the direction of this. Im not familiar with ATI cards, I used to stay away from them because I hate Catalyst so much.

Ill run a hijack this later, Im not on my laptop right now.
Hope this info helped.

Back