• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dang 4790k is ticking me off!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if all your doing is gaming it's pretty much a moot point anyway.
I game on mine and i never see over 60c on the cores.
I'm folding over night right now and I'll see the low 80's as peak at 4.8

This kit is to be used with the EK Supremacy block

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-supremacy-precisemount-add-on-naked-ivy.html

Basically gives you the perfect stand offs so you don't crush it. Many use this on another forum I am a member of

Drastically reduces temps and radically increases ambient cooling headroom

I read a lot of threads where someone goes to the trouble and risk of de-lidding and only reaps a percentage of the potencial gains.

Hard for me to wrap my head around the logic when a kit spoecifically made for this is availible

Hats off EK, where are the rest of the block manufacturers at with this low cost kit to make their blocks work on naked chips. But I guess until they step up one has to have a Supremacy.

100% agree, with 200 people delidding on one thread alone, all waterblocks need to start coming with bare die options/mounts/sockets, unless something changes at intel.

Although most of gain 20+C (mine 23C) is from using liquid metal between die and IHS at 1.3+V. You can gain another 5+C at ~1.3V by going bare die, more at higher volts, besides why use two tim interfaces.

Going ghetto without EK kit with socket mods, etc, have seen 2 cracked dies in one thread, and pressure issues where wont post, no ram channel, etc.

But with proper block, socket, kit really makes more sense to just run bare die, especially since PCB's on these are much heavier, so dont have the warping issue on these going bare die. My next cpu (broadwell) I will get EK kit and delid up front (assuming no others make them), easier than two tims all the time plus the additional temp gains.

I might just go ahead and delid. Problem is I don't have a vise. Doesn't make sense to buy one just to use once :-/

Checking around to see if any of my local friends with shops/tools might have one I can use. Called a few and that's a no :rain:

I'll keep checking around.

*Edit*

Found one I can use. Maintenance guys here where I live said I can use the one in their shop anytime I need to. Looks like this is a go :) Don't have any CLLP, so I guess it's MX4 until I get get some.

Last edited:
just use some masking tape on vice teeth so dont mar cpu.

And with mx4 you wont see nearly as good temps as you do with liquid metal, so definitely order some liquid metal. liquid metal has about 4-5x higher bulk thermal conductivity, lower contact resistance, and can be applied with thinner bondline, makes a huge difference at tim1 location, though tim2 doesnt matter so much since much larger surface area. The average gain is 5-10C with paste at tim1 some wont see any change if apply to thick, and 15-20C with liquid metal if using 1.3V and testing with prime 28.5 small ffts or linx recent version.

And use a credit card to carefully scratch all the black adhesive off, that takes most time.

I hear ya. I'm still going to delid tho as I have the opportunity right now. I'll order some LMetal tho ;)

frozen cpu has them for $5. Last 2 are different versions, last one is for naked ivy, should be similar for haswell. Wish the kit came with msi die guard as well, though the waterblock will hold it on, it would be less susceptible to tilting/sliding while mounting but unfortunately only msi motherboards have them.

DelidDieGuard.jpg

frozen cpu has them for $5. Last 2 are different versions, last one is for naked ivy, should be similar for haswell. Wish the kit came with msi die guard as well, though the waterblock will hold it on, it would be less susceptible to tilting/sliding while mounting but unfortunately only msi motherboards have them.

View attachment 147967

SOB! I'm 5 cents short! :rofl: Was just about to finalize the buy, and before I pulled the trigger I checked my balance. Can you believe I have 5 cents less than the total amount needed?:facepalm:

Looks like that's gonna have to wait.

Too bad Neb doesn't like MSI...:-/

Not after the ordeal I went thru. Don't get me wrong I'm sure it's a great company with great products.....just not for me.

Well I'm happy to report I delided, and I must say I'm impressed.

Idle temps - 28-27-30-27
Load w/P95 -76-79-78-72

I'm sure with LMetal my temps will drop further, but I'm good with this :cool:

The victim:

Attachments

• DSC00177.JPG
    DSC00177.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 71
yep, it is when prime blend hits the small ffts like 8K, 12K or 10K, etc that temps jump up from 70's to 90's, ie 20C hotter. I can run prime small ffts for 2 minutes and that will be within 1-2C of prime blend temps for any run longer than 4 hours.

Well I'm happy to report I delided, and I must say I'm impressed.

Idle temps - 28-27-30-27
Load w/P95 -76-79-78-72

I'm sure with LMetal my temps will drop further, but I'm good with this :cool:

The victim:

Nice. :thup:

I'm getting ready to retube mine......hhhhhmmmmmmmmmm...........

Last edited:
Back