• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dang, MCP35X pumps are loud

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daddyjaxx

I'm bleeding my system now. I have a Maelstrom res with dual MCP35Xs. I'm 30 feet away and all I hear is hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I could slow them down, but I won't hear them over the SS phase anyway.

I'm bleeding my system now. I have a Maelstrom res with dual MCP35Xs. I'm 30 feet away and all I hear is hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I could slow them down, but I won't hear them over the SS phase anyway.

I got the same thing. Yes, at 100% assuming you have them set at are audible.

I can hear my MCP355 from across the room at idle with it spinning at the lowest speed it'll tolerate, and it's inside a case with sound absorbing side panels.

Yeah, they're loud. If mine goes above the idle speed, it's quite noticable. If it hits 100%, it's almost annoying. Oh well, it's still quieter than normal air anyways.

EDIT: Also, my first one, which was way louder, actually seized and died on me. So if it starts making vague grinding noises, start worrying :)

I have mine with a 250 tube res hard mounted to it, with the heatsink with legs and rubber feet, all sitting on a gel mousepad. It's a lot quieter than it was when it was mounted to the motherboard tray but it's still the loudest part of my computer at 100%.

its not so much that they are loud in absolute db; it's like some fans which are less noisy as others but emit some "drone" or "buzz" at a certain frequency making them seen louder as they are.... it's basically their noise "quality"...

they need to be mounted suspended or on dampeners

And dont get me started on the tendency of these DDCs to run hot ... :)

But you can always put the DDC in a "soundproofed" enclosure of its own and... slap a Corsair H80 or H100 (any square AIO cpu block really) to the underside of the DDC :D

yeah, after using 2 mcp 355's for 7 years for the extra 0.2 gpm vs D5's in a typical loop, I switched to D5's and run mine on setting 4...with metal after market tops and mounted on tpe gel cant hear them above 700 rpm's fans on my rads. mcp 355 has a higher pitch louder whine, but you do get a little more flow.

Back