• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDC-12V REV2 DB rating???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Paapaa said:
Just keep in mind that maximum free flow figures don't necessarily tell how the pump performs in actual use (with restriction added to the system). Some pumps can deliver high flow rates with no restriction but they suck (pun intended) in real setups with high restriction. You should see the whole PQ-curve to draw any conclusions.
I understand what your saying but for me its a mute point. It's essentially the same pump that I have now which is a very good performer but with more horse power. :shrug:

Paapaa said:
Just keep in mind that maximum free flow figures don't necessarily tell how the pump performs in actual use (with restriction added to the system). Some pumps can deliver high flow rates with no restriction but they suck (pun intended) in real setups with high restriction. You should see the whole PQ-curve to draw any conclusions.

I don't know about the 18w version, but I have seen that the flow modded 10w version performs on par with the D5 in actual systems.

voigts said:
I don't know about the 18w version, but I have seen that the flow modded 10w version performs on par with the D5 in actual systems.

Actually, even the unmodded DDC performs on par with D5 if the system has high restriction. See:

http://www.cooling-masters.com/articles-33-9.html

As you can see, in the left edge (high restriction) those two pumps perfor almost identically. Both can deliver high pressure. Low restriction systems might benefit from the higher flow rate D5 can offer - the actual differences will be quite insignificant.

I get the feeling that I am not going to find a 10w version anymore. I was in Atlanta last weekend and went by Microcenter and bought what was labelled as a 10w D5 on the box only to find when I checked it in my car before leaving that it actually is the 18w version. So I went right back in and returned it.

I then went and ordered an MCP350 from CrazyPC.com tuesday. I received it yesterday only to open the box and find that it is an 18w version also although everything on their site lists the specs for the 10w version (http://www.crazypc.com/items/9335.html).

Now I am stuck with the 18w version unless I call them Monday and return it. And even if I do, I am wondering if the 10w version exists in the US anymore.

voigts said:
I get the feeling that I am not going to find a 10w version anymore. I was in Atlanta last weekend and went by Microcenter and bought what was labelled as a 10w D5 on the box only to find when I checked it in my car before leaving that it actually is the 18w version. So I went right back in and returned it.

I then went and ordered an MCP350 from CrazyPC.com tuesday. I received it yesterday only to open the box and find that it is an 18w version also although everything on their site lists the specs for the 10w version (http://www.crazypc.com/items/9335.html).

Now I am stuck with the 18w version unless I call them Monday and return it. And even if I do, I am wondering if the 10w version exists in the US anymore.

hey i'll trade you a 10w for an 18w ;)

mysterfix said:
Do you want a 10w for comparison or something?

No, I really wanted the 10w because I want silence. I might stick with the 18w, but there is no data anywhere on the db difference between the two, and since the 18w has got to be louder, i wanted a new 10w.

so you have an 18w one..

why dont u use it, dont we all want to know how it performs

Yes! Please at least hook it up to a couple pieces of tubing with the ends in a bucket and let us know how loud it seems to you.

I saw a site offering both the 10W and 18W pump a couple weeks ago, let me see if I can dig it up.

Paapaa said:
Yes, a PQ curve would be great, but if you look at the Coolercases UK tests again, you'll see they test the pumps with a TDX CPU block in the loop as well as free flow. While that doesn't give us the full PQ curve, it does give us some idea how the pumps respond to restriction.
http://coolercasesuk.co.uk/showthread.php?t=931&page=1

Otter said:
Yes! Please at least hook it up to a couple pieces of tubing with the ends in a bucket and let us know how loud it seems to you.

I saw a site offering both the 10W and 18W pump a couple weeks ago, let me see if I can dig it up.

Thanks for the link. I wish I had seen that before I ordered. It depends on what happens with crazypc Monday as to what i am going to do.

I hooked the 18w DDC to a gallon with water. I filled it under half full and laid it on its side. I am impressed at the amount of suction that the DDC seems to have. I poured some water into the intake hose, put it into the jug, and it started and sucked the water and air in the line right through until it pulled water from the jug with no problem. I don't recall my D5 being able to do that.

I haven't heard a 10w DDC, so all I have to compare against is my D5. At power setting number 3, I would say that the 18w DDC still seems quieter. The D5 emits a high pitched tone which to me makes it very obvious, whereas the 18w has only a lower pitched tone. It also is quieter to me. If the D5 is turned up all of the way, it sounds like an ambulance compared to the 18w DDC. I did notice that the bottom side of the pump gets warm very quickly.

Hmmm. I haven't heard the D5 on its third setting, but maybe the 18W version isn't so bad after all. How far away can you hear it?

I didn't try that today. I'll have to turn off the loud window air conditioning and give that a try.

LOL
Just crank up the stereo till the windows start to break and any pump is "virtually silent".

Well I called crazypc and they will refund the pump and one way shipping, but I am still going to be out about $8 on shipping. Now I have to decide if I should just give up and keep it or go ahead and send it back and be out $8 and reorder the 10w. I wish SOMEONE online had definite DB numbers.

Otter said:
LOL
Just crank up the stereo till the windows start to break and any pump is "virtually silent".

With the fans I see some people using, they probably could put any kind of pump in their systems and not hear it.

voigts said:
I then went and ordered an MCP350 from CrazyPC.com tuesday. I received it yesterday only to open the box and find that it is an 18w version also although everything on their site lists the specs for the 10w version

According to Swiftech MCP350 is still the 10W version, not the new 18W version. If they release the 18W version it will have a different model number. So it is very odd you got the 18W version if you really bought MCP350 :shrug:

woo hoo im back online sorta.

with your case closed at about half a meter at 45 deg angle can you hear it with xxx fans ( which fans at what volts)

depending on what you say i might try an 18w version.

thorilan said:
woo hoo im back online sorta.

with your case closed at about half a meter at 45 deg angle can you hear it with xxx fans ( which fans at what volts)

depending on what you say i might try an 18w version.

I haven't put the 18w into my case yet as I am still deciding whether to keep it or send it back and get the 10w. So how is Florida?

Paapaa said:
According to Swiftech MCP350 is still the 10W version, not the new 18W version. If they release the 18W version it will have a different model number. So it is very odd you got the 18W version if you really bought MCP350

Well, the box says swiftech MCP350 on the outside but had an 18w on the inside.

Back