• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED DDR3-2800 in an ASUS M6

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ElimGarak

Registered
The RAM standard for this MOBO is DDR3-1600. What happens if I put -2800 in? Will the MOBO adjust its settings to compensate, do I have to change them myself, or will my new hardware melt down into slag, or blow up and destroy my apt?

On a somewhat related note, how difficult is it to remove heatspreaders so that I can watercool my RAM?

Thanks for your help.

What is an "Asus M6"? I've never seen this part before, and Google finds laptops.

It's a waste of money to watercool RAM.

Maximus VI Impact....

Edit- Is it a waste even if I OC the RAM? I don't plan on having a whole lot of air movement- jut 1 120mm doing exhaust work...

2800MHz ram is, for all intents and purposes (outside of benchmarking) a waste of money. Grab some CL9 DDR3 2133MHz sticks and call it a day.

It is a waste even if you overclock the ram, yes. The blocks are restrictive, and they do not yield any performance increases.

Maximus VI Impact....

Edit- Is it a waste even if I OC the RAM? I don't plan on having a whole lot of air movement- jut 1 120mm doing exhaust work...

Got it :thup:

Yes, watercooling RAM is pointless.
If you get past the point where air cooling will handle them you're going to end up with dead RAM anyway.
You'd be better off spending the money on decent case fans (because that'll benefit your whole system).

Get yourself a set of 2133MHz CL9, set the XMP profile (your MVI will run that just fine), and go on with life.
The gains of 2800 over 2133 are negligible at best because the timings go to crap.
Not to mention that 2800 costs an absurd amount.

Any DDR3-2800 with XMP profile should work on that board ( so generally every 2800 memory ). DDR3-1600 is just standard speed of memory controller so every motherboard manufacturer will mark 1866+ clocks as OC.

Standard memory ratio for Haswell is up to x29.33 what means even Pentium can run at 2933 ... so also at 2800.
Watercooling RAM is waste of money.

Also as others already said, clocks like 2800 are good almost only for benching. Optimal will be something like 2133-2400 at tighter timings.

Look for 2133 CL9 or 2400 CL10 kits. They're in pretty good prices right now and performance/price ratio is probably best.

Back