• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR4 mainstream anticipation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZytheEKS

Registered
So with the release of PCI-E 3.0 I was pondering buying a new Mobo, but then I read an article about DDR4 R.A.M. and figured I should probably wait till this goes mainstream before putting a couple hundred $ into a new mobo (I always get high end mother boards, it's the most important part of the PC, why dafuq shouldn't I get a good one XD)

The issue is that DDR4 has been floating around in development for a long time, and I'm unsure how long it will be till it will be commercially available.

Any input?

Well the motherboard has no direct impact on the performance of your computer. It's actually probably one of the least important parts of your computer assuming you're not doing any extreme overclocking. The only things that 99% of people care about is that it has the ports you need and the power phases to support your overclocking.

PCIe 3.0 is unnecessary in its current state as video cards aren't even as fast as the max bandwidth of PCIe 2.0.

AFAIK, Intel announced that Haswell (CPUs coming out in June) won't be DDR4, so it probably won't go mainstream until 2014.

K, I think I can wait until 2014 for a new mo-bo

Also, I have a custom DIY chassis , and I use a series of riser cards, and PCI-E Socket splitters to a LOT of PCI-E sockets, so having 3.0 would be amazing . It works GREAT as long as I don't get driver issues. Basically as long as I keep major components like Graphics cards and NPU cards plugged directly into the Mo-Bo I don't get compatibility issues

Anyways, thanks for the info :p

Other thing is that now we barely see any difference in memory speed so if memory controllers won't change then it won't make any difference if we will use DDR3 or DDR4. Both AMD and Intel platforms are limited by controllers now ( AMD much more ).
IB can use faster memory transfers only after high cpu overclock and even then difference is like 1-2% going from 2133 to 2800+.
I would wait till DDR4 will be more mature standard and it probably won't happen in desktops faster than in 2-3 years.
If slowest DDR4 will be 2133 CL15 then you can expect maybe CL12 enthusiast series and maybe CL15-CL16 3200 kits what means that if memory contollers won't change then performance will be worse than what we can see in high end DDR3 kits now.

I'm not saying that DDR4 will be bad but don't expect too much and if you are thinking about newer pc then buy it now as there will be always something new that will make you wait.

Other thing is that now we barely see any difference in memory speed so if memory controllers won't change then it won't make any difference if we will use DDR3 or DDR4. Both AMD and Intel platforms are limited by controllers now ( AMD much more ).
IB can use faster memory transfers only after high cpu overclock and even then difference is like 1-2% going from 2133 to 2800+.
I would wait till DDR4 will be more mature standard and it probably won't happen in desktops faster than in 2-3 years.
If slowest DDR4 will be 2133 CL15 then you can expect maybe CL12 enthusiast series and maybe CL15-CL16 3200 kits what means that if memory contollers won't change then performance will be worse than what we can see in high end DDR3 kits now.

I'm not saying that DDR4 will be bad but don't expect too much and if you are thinking about newer pc then buy it now as there will be always something new that will make you wait.

The slowest spec DDR4 will be crap:
ddr4.JPG

Much like the slowest DDR3, 400MHz base clock and what, 10-10-10 timings?
Or the slowest DDR2, 200MHz at 6-6-6.

The slowest is always crap :D

These Microns on CES were DDR4-2133 CL15 so I would expect this will be something standard and about CL12 to CL18 for other modules up to 4000. If we will see 3200 CL12 then it will be good. If we will see 3200 CL15 then it will be bad ;)

I would expect first-gen DDR4 to be similar to first-gen DDR2/3 in that it has no performance increase over the previous generation

Back