• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ddr4 speculation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

Just had some questions. Google - fu isn't working so well, as the disparity is ridiculous.

so...

1) price? I've heard things from "it'll be about the same" to "it's gonna cost 300$ for 8 gb"

2) form factor? While obviously ddr1/2/3 have different form factors, I've heard ddr4 might share compatibility with ddr3. While unlikely, It would be cool.

3) I haven't seen any timings been speculated. What would a ddr4 2400 timings be perhaps?

http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Pro...er=BESTMATCH&Description=ddr4&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Prices for first ECC series are about $260 for 8GB.
DDR4 won't be compatible with DDR3. Look similar but there are different memory controllers and some other things.
Timings are really bad comparing to DDR3. Like 2133 CL14-15 at the beginning. Memory bandwidth should be higher than DDR3 at similar settings but since we start from 2133 ~CL15 then I don't expect higher overall performance.

http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Pro...er=BESTMATCH&Description=ddr4&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Prices for first ECC series are about $260 for 8GB.
DDR4 won't be compatible with DDR3. Look similar but there are different memory controllers and some other things.
Timings are really bad comparing to DDR3. Like 2133 CL14-15 at the beginning. Memory bandwidth should be higher than DDR3 at similar settings but since we start from 2133 ~CL15 then I don't expect higher overall performance.

I'm seeing 2x8GB as $270 on your link?

ye, it's already late here, supposed to be 2x8GB :p ... 16GB for about $270 :)

geeze almost 300 bucks for only 16gb... thats depressing as hell haha.

CL15... is kinda ridiculous as well haha. The lower voltages aren't shabby though

geeze almost 300 bucks for only 16gb... thats depressing as hell haha.

CL15... is kinda ridiculous as well haha. The lower voltages aren't shabby though

That'll drop some for non-ECC. Both cost and latency.

Heres hoping.

Clearly, Im looking at the 5820k,

so lets say 400$ for the chip, 250$ for the extreme 6, and 200$ for 16gb ram? I can swing that if thats the case. ... I hate waiting, I want pricing NOW xD

Heres hoping.

Clearly, Im looking at the 5820k,

so lets say 400$ for the chip, 250$ for the extreme 6, and 200$ for 16gb ram? I can swing that if thats the case. ... I hate waiting, I want pricing NOW xD

Speculated pricing on the 5820K is $300-350, more like $350 will fall in line with past entry level chips on X79.
The X79 Extreme6 is $215, so $250 is probably a good guess for release pricing.
Sounds about right for 16GB, maybe a touch more.

Oh great, exactly what CPUs need, high latency memory.

It's going to be a while until DDR4 beats DDR3 at actual CPU tasks, for APU/Integrated it'll be good.

DDR3's prices are inflated a lot, so how does this cost more? I thought the Mbit-per-mm2 is higher, so more space per wafer fabbed.

It's new, the processes aren't as ironed out, there is almost certainly a higher failure rate.
Plus they need to pay off the new equipment, and supply is fairly low so they can crank the price up there too.

Form factor wise it's had a pretty solid redesign for greater reliability, pretty cool.

Back