• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE DDR5 Overclocking Guide: A Little More Performance Never Hurts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Intel's Z690 platform with DDR5 includes many new features and overclocking possibilities for those who aren't scared of the bios. If you're the type who wants to get the most out of your new platform, memory overclocking is worth checking out. Overclocking your memory is safe, fun, and it can give you up to a 20% increase in performance for some tasks. But it's not always a simple process, and adjusting the memory timings can be incredibly daunting if you have no reference or guide. However, with our simple instructions, we will demystify memory overclocking and give you the tips and tricks to get started.

Click here to view the article.

Thank you for this article MLLRKLLR. I know I'll be referencing this many times in the coming years.

Great write up! I plan to give DDR5 some growing time before making the leap but glad to know this is here for when it comes.

I would always add the advice not to boot your actual OS but boot from a USB stick into Ubuntu or Mint Linux and try & fail there if you really push it and expect to encounter BSOD after BSOD sort of thing.

The reason is, users that don't know how this "overclocking" works out of experience they likely also don't know how easily a file system gets corrupted, files corrupted, Windows repairs with sfc and DISM, WinSXS etc..
You will, sooner or later, corrupt your OS's files and file system if you get BSODs one after the other when pushing it.

Prepare a bootable Linux of your liking, Ubuntu or Mint ( Ubuntu based ) are good choices. There are plenty test programs in linux available like prime95 or Google's stressapptest.

Was searching the internet for all things DDR5 and only 1 interesting article was found, of course written by our great pal Miller ! Nice article, I've been using DDR4 Z690 boards but I do have some Hynix D5 to try when I decide on what board(s) I want to use. Tough choice, do I wait for Aqua that comes out in 3 weeks or so and will it be 2 dimm "OC", wait for DARK or buy one that's available now. 1st choice almost looks like it would be Tachyon for me since it's priced only $50 more than Unify-X but unlike the X it is full XOC + w XP ready. Unify-X is decent option and since I usually buy 2 different boards could work. Then there is APEX, but at $720 you are paying a premium for Shamino support but the MSI and Giga boards are on par when pushing Hynix and Samsung dimms with relative ease. Decisions Decisions

Back