• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead ASUS P9X79?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

v8power

Registered
Today i had a few weird issues. first the pc crashed every time i pumped water in fallout 4, then at some point it shut down, just like when you press the power button. I cancelled, then it tried again, this time i accepted. I try to power back on, get to the raid init screen. Next time i only get to the splash screen. I tried unplugging the front panel buttons as they like to stick, same thing. Cmos reset, nothing. Bios flashback, same thing. I tried different ram, different cpu, no gpu, removed every pcie card. I got it to post once more after reseating stuff. That was the last time.
Same results after trying on a cardboard box.

What do you think, is my chipset bad? Any other ideas?

Specs:
ASUS P9X79
Xeon 1650 v2 @4.2GHz
R9 290X +120 core +50 mem
16GB G.Skill 2400
EVGA 750 G3

Watercooled, max temps under full cpu+gpu load 60C

What is the RAID configuration? Is there mirroring or only striping?

I was using 2x 1TB in raid 0 and a 2tb back up drive. Booting from nvme and i had my old ssd as fast storage. Im not worried about my raid, as you can easily move intel chipset raid from one board to another. Done it 3 times

SSD's and NVME's have a limited number of writes, most likely your SSD's and NVME's have reached the max writes. Just think, you got your pagefile.sys, swapfile.sys and hiberfil.sys plus the event log files, just about everything you do on your pc is loged, when you log on/off, install/uninstall, when you go to the bathroom :) jk about the bathroom but you get the idea.
Put your OS on a HDD and use SSD's only for backup and storage.

Your explanation of the RAID configuration is not clear to me. Is the boot volume in RAID 0?

On another computer I would burn a Linux live distro to DVD and see if your computer will boot from it. You may also have to disable secure boot in bios to do this. If it will boot using the Linux Live optical disk then something is wrong with your boot drive. If it won't boot using the Linux live distro then it's likely a bad mobo or PSU. In your troubleshooting measures you did not mention trying a different PSU.

Last edited:
Storage or os doesnt matter. I can`t even post. Sometimes i get to the ASUS spalsh screen but thats it. Then it just shuts off

Shut off is heat or power related.
If your temps are true, it ain't heat.
So .......PSU, board, or CPU. Need to sub in known working parts to test.

I'm leaning towards a chipset/motherboard problem. Today it actually posted again, I installed everything back in the case. Worked for a couple of hours. Then it shut off again like when you press the power button. This time i kept canceling the shutdown(had a word document open in the background). After 2 times it just crashed, instant off. The cpu is fine, i tried different ones. Ram is fine too. For testing, I used an old 400w psu, had the same problems. It kinda seems like the chipset bga chip is coming loose.
Now the question is, do i use my old i5 3570k or do I upgrade to an 9700/9900K

Since the PSU is a G3 it is probably not very old. So my first guess would be the motherboard, second guess would be the CPU and then the PSU. But like Mr. Scott said, you can't know unless you start swapping out parts.

I did, an e5 2603 had the same problem, for testing i used an old 6600gt. I might try the oven method but im worried it might lower the resell value of a dead board
Edit: Just read that amd might release new chips. I'm kinda waiting to see if its worth upgrading

Last edited:
Yes, but you haven't tried a different PSU, have you? Did I miss that detail?

So now the question is if i upgrade (Ryzen 3000?) or buy another x79 board for 150 euro

It seems like i might have fixed (for now at least). I put the board in the oven at 180°C and the heated the chipset to 245°C with a heat gun. Hasn't crashed for 5 hours. Now it's just a matter of time to see how reliable it is.
All heatsinks and the metal socket parts where of course removed before baking

Time will tell. At any rate, I'd be planning on saving your nickles for a newer system if I were you.

It is a short term fix. It won't last long.
I've baked plenty of stuff just to get one last bench out of it. lol

Back