• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead gtx 980ti with 8 pin connector not working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ricma

I have tried to start up pc with both 8 pin connectors in my gtx 980 ti windforce 3oc and it just doesn't react at all as if it had psu turned off.

When i have 8 pin power cable plugged in to the right connector and two pins to the left (look the photos), only then fans start spinning and it gets me to the screen posted down in the picture (tested on 3 computers with same results)

is there possible way of fixing this cause it really looks like there is something with power delivery from that pins and does look repairable (maybe - but i am not expert)

I need help from guys that are knowledgeable about this stuff so i can try to resurect it if possible

IMG-20180414-WA0003.jpg pc problem.jpg

I can't quite tell from your post. But are you only plunging one PCI-E power cable into the card? You need both a 8 pin and the 6pin to power the card.

no you didn't understand, it has 2x8 connectors and it doesn't work when i plug in both connectors, everything is dead, when i pull out left one it gets me to the screen on the pic above, but when i pull out the right one and leave left 8pin connected to the card it is the same as when both are in so whole pc is not even pulling any power and pc is not starting up

I think you are correct then... that second 8-pin is dead. Not sure there is any reviving it.

Have you tried swapping the PCIe 6+2 pin connectors? The right one, which works, put it on the left to see if its the cable or the GPU itself?

Yes, i tried all the combos with cables but no luck, so there is really no way of doing anything about it? I figured since fans spin on right connector it could be repaired, no mods for it to make it work or anything?

It depends on where the issue is. If its in the connector itself, perhaps wiring another directly to the metal that comes out of the back will work... but my guess is as simple as a 6/8-pin PCIe plug is, I am betting its downstream on the card where there is really nothing one can do. :(

Ok, makes sense, i guessed that could be also the case so i am not sad but kind of disappointed, thanks for the help tho

Have you checked the serial # at Gigabyte, might still be under warranty

Unfortunately it isn't, but i bought it off ebay (only later found out seller removed serial number) and i would not be able to rma it even if was since it was from UK... :(

Unfortunately it isn't, but i bought it off ebay (only later found out seller removed serial number) and i would not be able to rma it even if was since it was from UK... :(
File a NAD case?
Do you have a multimeter you can use to test the power cables 12v rails and grounds?

can't because i bought this GPU a year ago, PSU was working correctly, cables are not an issue it's gpu so no further testing needed for other components

:welcome:

I'm sorry to say that my input into this conversation is not good. I've had a few cards that prevented the computer from powering up at all. When the card was connected... nothing. When I pulled the card, the computer would boot and ask for a video card.

The answer for me was RMA but that ship has sailed for you so.... no love here. Sorry.

can't because i bought this GPU a year ago, PSU was working correctly, cables are not an issue it's gpu so no further testing needed for other components

Charge back? Or at lest leave the seller a neg if they sold you a bad card.
Do you have anther card or system you can test with?

Back