• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dead motherboard, cpu, or both?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1kingd2

last night I installed the swiftech h20-220 water cooling kit on my cpu. I set up the system, and did a 30min test before I had to go to work. I did not see any leaks before I left or when I came home. I ran the system again for another hour with no leaks. I went to put every thing back in fired up the system, but I forgot to give the video card power. It made a loud beeping sound, so I shut the system down. I did not notice it was not plugged in, and i turned it on more time same beeping sound. I started to take every thing out, and notice that I did not plug it in. I tested the card on another system and it works. I took out my water cooler to see if some how I killed my cpu from that. I had the block on the cpu while doing my testing. After taking every thing out I put the air cooler back in to see if the system would work. When I turned on the system the fan connected to the heatsink was sputtering. I am not sure if the mb is dead or the cpu possiable both.

help plz:cry:

Hard to tell, needs more fault finding. Suspected is your power supply, mobo, possibly a crappy connection from your CPU fan...

Reset CMOS. I did a cleaning job on my compy and pulled my vid to get the dust out of the air cooler, then forgot to plug in the extra power connector to it and it beeped at me. When i realized i pluged it back in, but it still beeped at me so i reset CMOS and then it worked. Hope this helps.

I tested psu, and graphics card on another system and it worked. I took every thing apart, I noticed that there was a burn spot under the motherboard where the chip set is. What is weird is that the system will power up, but I will not get any display. I took out the battery on the mother board to reset, and I still did not get a display, just a black screen. I guess it is time for a new motherboard. Anyways thanks for everyone's help.

Back