• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Decent upgrade from GTX980

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i snagged some deals on ebay before the prices went back up. i am sitting on a 2060 super i no longer need, thought about putting it up for sale here or ebay. you may still find some deals on ebay but i still think its 50/50 on it working ect. i had to repaste and pad the 2060 super, worth it for the temp decrease alone. looks like the guy tried to do it but used thicker then needed pads so it was not making full contact on the gpu core.

Looking at newegg with a $500 limit, the best geforce has to offer is the RTX 3060 Ti 8GB and the best radeon has to offer is the RX 6700 XT 12GB. They are considered equal "relative performance" on the TPU GPU database. Your GTX 980 is considered 44% of the performance of those two cards, so either one would be a nice bump.

guess i should have mentioned earlier if you were to get a 3060ti wait for the GDDR6x version, in some of the benchmarks for games. they are doing a bit better then the 3070 :c i have seen a 3060ti 6x on the market yet but NV said they were releasing them.

I forgot about the new rev with faster RAM coming out. Not sure if there will be a price increase to go with the update though.
I would like to see you post us a benchmark run or two after you get the new card. Maybe a before & after if that will be possible.
Congrats. :thup:

Last edited:
Now if Newegg would ship it would be great. They took my money on the 12th and still are in the "packaging" phase! I hate waiting!

I forgot about the new rev with faster RAM coming out. Not sure if there will be a price increase to go with the update though.
I would like to see you post us a benchmark run or two after you get the new card. Maybe a before & after if that will be possible.
Congrats. :thup:
What should I use to benchmark? I have not done that in a while.

Back