• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Default DMZ Server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ishakir

Hello guys,

I have a wireless router in my house and it supplies a couple of machines in the house. A majority of these machines are left on all the time while running AOL Instant Messenger. Although this problem isn't anywhere near dire, it is still quite annoying. What I've found is, if machine X isnt set as a default DMZ server, AOL will constantly drop connection and then reconnect about every 20-30 minutes. The problem is, I cannot set more than one DMZ server since the router will not allow it.

I was wondering if you guys had any solutions in mind. Would forwarding all ports to the machines simulate a DMZ router perhaps?

Thanks so much,
-Ish-

Putting a machine in the DMZ is not a great idea. It's probably not even a good idea. It means that the computer is hangin' out in the open. Nor would I forward every port. That too leaves you open. It's just not a good idea at all. Don't do it. :sn:

Instead, if you do a simple search for AIM firewall ports on Google, or better yet, the help docs from the maker of your router. Only open the ports that you need. I think that once you find just what you need and nothing more, your AIM will be happy.

Stupid damned "Due to current high demand, the page you are looking for cannot be delivered right now. " :mad: :mad:

Now that it's the FOURTH FREAKING TIME I've typed this, I'm hoping it goes thru. Port 5190 is what you are looking for... That will get you basic AIM service, video AIM requires multiple (dynamically assigned, not static) ports between 1000 and 5000 which requires a little higher-end router hardware.

Back