• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Netgear Orbi or Unifi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Alrighty then...ordered 2 Ubiquiti Pro Access points and 2 4-port PoE switches...supposed to be delivered this Sunday! :)

Alrighty then...ordered 2 Ubiquiti Pro Access points and 2 4-port PoE switches...supposed to be delivered this Sunday! :)

If you didn't buy a cloudkey you will need to run the controller software either on a server/vm/etc. Just wanted to make sure you plan to do that.

If you didn't buy a cloudkey you will need to run the controller software either on a server/vm/etc. Just wanted to make sure you plan to do that.

Yup - knew about that one - thanks though! I plan on installing it on one of my machines that runs folding@home 24/7...already have the hardware available and running, so not an issue.

Also - Amazon "missed" their delivery yesterday...ETA is today...

OK - got the Access Points and PoE switches installed.

I configured the two access points through the iPhone app...BAM...and up and running.

I setup the family room device first. The 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz signals (same SSID) were strong enough that I still had decent WiFi access back in my office from my iPhone. Doing a speed test, showed me I had a solid 30 Mbit/sec connection. With ALL previous wireless options, I would have a signal in my office, but it would always disconnect when I tried to push any data though it.

FANTASTIC!

I setup the second access point in my office, giving them both the same SSID.

Now, when I walk around my house, my iPhone automatically picks up the strongest signal!

AMAZING!

I get 185 Mbits/sec internet speed running speed test at pretty much any point in my house (drops to 120 Mbits/sec on the "fringes").

These things are fantastic.

When I move out of range of the 5 GHz signal, I get handed over to the 2.4 GHz signal. When AP #1 is stronger than AP #2, I get transferred over to the strongest one...and then connected to the 5 GHz signal when it's strong enough.

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!

Thanks for the suggestion ATM!

The only challenge I am having now is getting the UniFi software to see the Access Points, or my iPhone to see the UniFi software as a controller. A task for another day, as I can manage them through my iPhone.

Ok - got the UniFi software working...is a “duh” moment.

I just experienced my 2nd nerdgasm of the evening...

Glad you enjoy them so far! Those things are, as you've experienced, one of the best APs I've ever seen. In both residential and commercial settings.

Ordered the Ubiquiti Edgerouter 4...will set it up this weekend.

Probably WAY overkill for my home network, but I wanted to upgrade my existing Linksys router/WiFi (WiFi is currently turned off). And I LOVE the Ubiquiti Access Points and their Unifi software!

:thup:

EDIT: Double post in the same post for some reason...

Last edited:
ive had pretty good luck with the tp-link AP's fwiw. idk what the cost difference is vs ubiquiti i think anymore they are about the same, and ive only heard great things about ubiquiti devices.

as for the pfsense machine mine runs on a c-70m1 integrated board, plus 1gb of ram, intel pro-pt 1000 dual gigabit nic and a 60gb SSD and even that is overkill for my connection lol.
36b9705e3f2cf21b2af0d1b399682fe6.png

I have the Ubiquiti Edgerouter 4 setup. It was pretty straight forward to set up the basic stuff firewall, DHCP server, port forwarding, etc. I have no idea what many of the settings in this do.

In terms of speed...my old Linksys router maxes my 300 Mbps down / 20 Mbps up network connection out at 310 Mbps. With this device, the last speed test had me pulling consistently 340+ Mbps. At this download speed, the processor hit a max usage of 9%...so this baby can handle speeds much greater than mine.

WAY overkill for my home network - hehe. Was only $160.

The thing about the Edgerouter, it doesn’t interface with the UniFi controller, as it’s not a UniFi device. The Ubiquiti UniFi Secure Gateway is the UniFi device ($110)...I missed this. The Edgerouter is black, and the Gateway is white (like the Access Points)...again, missed this.

You can still see all the cool stats from a webpage, but not in the UniFi controller software. There is also a separate smartphone app too.

I may swap this out for the UniFi Secure Gateway...don’t know. The Edgerouter has a built-in power supply...so only a power costs to plug in...not a dopey DC adapter like the UniFi Secure Gateway...this is a big plus.

Just finished setting up for the Ubiquiti UniFi Secure Gateway (USG).

It's a router on steroids...and only about $110. This plus 1 Access Point is less expensive than an "all in one" router and wireless device. In my opinion, they are also faster and MUCH better.

It's pretty cool in that it connects with the main UniFi software. The Edgerouter 4 required a separate monitoring tool (does not connect into the UniFi controller)...Linux only. I setup a VM to run it, but the UniFi controller software provides much richer data, and the interface is more intuitive.)

Speed-wise, I am getting 420 Mbps down / 23 Mbps up (only paying for 300 Mbps down, and 20 Mbps up)...this is even faster than what I was getting with the Edgerouter 4!

The USG has 3 ethernet ports on it. This is how I have them connected:

WAN Port = Cable Modem
LAN Port 1 = Main Network
LAN Port 2 = IoT (Internet of Things) Network
---- I am moving all of my WiFi and Wired Smart Home devices here (i.e. anything that is not Z-Wave or ZigBee)

The LAN Port 2 can also be configured as a failover WAN port as well.

It's a pretty small device...about the size of a 4-port switch.

I'm really liking this UniFi series of hardware. I might actually replace my switches with UniFi switches - they can be managed through the same interface as the Access Points and the USG.

I would post screenshots and pictures, but for whatever reason this website isn't letting me today...

For those of you using these Unifi Access Points...don't have the radio power at High or "Auto" until you know if you need it...these things can put out A LOT of power.

The standard wireless device cannot put out as much TX power as these devices can. So, basically, THE UNIFI ACCESS POINT ENDS UP SHOUTING REAL LOUD...and the other devices are whispering back.

I had to set both of mine to "medium" power for both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands.

I really like the Unifi controller interface for configuring, managing, and seeing all the wonderful data graphed out they collect.

Ordered a 16-port PoE and 8-port PoE Unifi managed switch...coming in Friday! :thup:

Some internet research...

I didn’t buy the “turn the power down” argument...until I started experimenting.

I found power settings on each unit that gave me a good balance between speed, range, and roaming between access points.

The “WiFi meters strength on your device is what it’s receiving...not necessarily what it can transmit.

I was having devices connecting to the “far away” instead of “the close” access point

Back