• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Delidded i7-7700k vs Ryzen 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sand dan Glokta

Registered
I'm going to be ordering parts for my upcoming build in a couple of weeks and have been going back and forth concerning cpu's. I'm going to be only gaming @ 1440p and running some background applications like discord,TS, wiki's, twitch videos,and such.
I know KB is the more optimal choice for gaming but intel's shady practices with their TIM's (and their general ****tiness milking the community ) is making me want to delid them and apply liquid metal. I know it voids my warranty and I could potentially damage the CPU but it's a risk I'm willing to take if I get the 7700k. While Ryzen 7 at 1440p performs pretty much the same or at most 10 fps behind if paired with something like 3200mhz ram.

So what would you guy's suggest? Should I go with a delidded 7700k or with a Ryzen 7 chip. And also it is probably worth noting that the cpu will be paired with a 1080ti and a g-sync monitor. And, I'm not looking to upgrade the cpu and mobo for at least 4 years.

And one of my worries with going with AMD is that most of the games I play are older games that only rely on 2 cores and all the benchmarks I see online are of modern games. And that when newer titles are released I could almost guarantee a smooth(er) launch with better otpimization if I go with Intel. Idk, maybe I'm just paranoid :D

Appreciate it,

Glokta

Well I just pulled the trigger this morning on my new upgrade . I went with the ASRock Z270 Extreme 4 board, the 7700K and Gskill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 (16gb). Hopefully it'll be here by tomorrow ( Newegg Premier). Unsure if I'm going to delid. Gonna check out how well it performs before I pop it's top.

I was looking at the X299, but after several vids and what intel is supposedly doing to those boards, I went the Z270 route. AMD is a great contender, but I haven't had an AMD setup since the 939.

Well I just pulled the trigger this morning on my new upgrade . I went with the ASRock Z270 Extreme 4 board, the 7700K and Gskill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 (16gb). Hopefully it'll be here by tomorrow ( Newegg Premier). Unsure if I'm going to delid. Gonna check out how well it performs before I pop it's top.

I was looking at the X299, but after several vids and what intel is supposedly doing to those boards, I went the Z270 route. AMD is a great contender, but I haven't had an AMD setup since the 939.

Then I wish you the best of luck and hope to hear from ya for an update.

For gaming you don't need to delid the i7 7700k has plenty of performance stock.

It's not about performance, but about the crazy high temps lot's of users are reporting. More generally they occur a bit down the line and not right out of the box. But I still would rather delid, replace that sorry thing for a TIM, and be assured of not having these insane temp spikes

I'm hoping that's not the case with mine. Tho my cooling is well enough to tame the chip, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed. I guess in your case it's all about budget and preference and what suits your needs.

Granted I pretty much only play slightly older games, and only have a 1080p monitor, but I've been pretty happy with my Ryzen system. WH40k eternal crusade + twitch streaming and this thing doesn't bat an eye at it. I only wish I didn't buy the RAM I got, as it's stuck at 2133 for now. Hoping the microcode update fixes it.

Also, will you guys think there will be some sort of bottleneck if I go with Ryzen + 1080ti. When looking at benchmarks the 1080ti seems to be maxing out while Ryzen is at around 25-30% usually.

I think need-to-delid is luck of the draw. My 770k was insane, encoding video at 90C+ with a H100i. I edid the paste a dozen times to no avail, using Gelid Extreme. Delidded and got a 20C overall drop instantly.

ALL OF THIS was at stock clocks and I did update the BIOS of my Gaming 7, which was overvolting the CPU in earlier builds.

The 7700K can definitely be too hot, even at stock clocks, if you get unlucky.

BTW, delidding isn't something to fear anymore either. Anyone with any technical knack can do it in no time at all, so aside from voiding the warranty and a little xtra cost there's really no reason not to consider if you do get an unlucky chip.

Oops forgot to update this :bang head

I lucked out and got me a honey of a chip! 5.0Ghz right out the starting gate with 1.29v and ram @ 3200. Under XTU/Prime my temps maxed out about 50-ish across the board with 1 core hitting 70. This was when I first got it. its been a few weeks and now maxed temps @ gaming are 40-43c :D

No de-lidding required ;)

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ts-thread!!!?p=8017195&viewfull=1#post8017195

Looks like the 7700k is the clear winner for gaming. Take note of User Benchmark, it's the best website for comparing products out there because it takes real-world testing from millions of components installed in end-user's machines and charts their performance out. You can easily compare any two products on the website and see the advantage and disadvantage in every category.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700/3647vs3917

- - - Updated - - -

and a little xtra cost there's really no reason not to consider if you do get an unlucky chip.

It's free if you use a razor blade like everyone used to. The only reason why no one uses the razor blade anymore is because the deliding tool exists. If the tool dident exist, no one would say anything negative about using the razor blade because that would the standard. The razor blade is still perfectly fine if you are careful the same way it was perfectly fine three years ago.

Last edited:
It's free if you use a razor blade like everyone used to. The only reason why no one uses the razor blade anymore is because the deliding tool exists. If the tool dident exist, no one would say anything negative about using the razor blade because that would the standard. The razor blade is still perfectly fine if you are careful the same way it was perfectly fine three years ago. OCers are getting soft. Probably from an influx of too many millennials joining the ranks.

Other reason why people don't want to do it with a razor is the fact that when you put too much pressure then thin PCB will bend and you can throw away your CPU. The same if you scratch PCB. Earlier series ( pre SL ) were easier to delid because of thicker PCB. Not to mention that it's bad idea for less advanced users.
It's not hard to notice that there are less people who are into overclocking each year. Most just use auto OC options or try to OC with 3-4 options in BIOS and think they are so good. Many others are just gamers who want ( more want than need ) faster hardware than they can buy and they don't want to risk their hardware too much ( and have no idea how anyway ) so they'd rather go the easy way. This is also the reason why AIO water cooling is so popular recently and manufacturers are trying to deliver "idiot-proof" hardware.

I have Ryzen 1700X for gaming and it's fine even at stock. For tests/reviews I have 7700K which is delidded just because I needed it for competitive benching. If it was for gaming only then I wouldn't think about it.

I agree with what your saying. I have used all my Bios options, however for gaming all I need is stock 4.0GHz on 4 cores. I only overclock to 4.6GHz for the fun of it. With the i5 7600k at 4.6 GHz I can run BF1 medium settings 1080p minimum of 144FPS with GTX 1070. I don't like running medium settings so then the overclocking is useless.

I took a razor to my 3570K but did the vise method on my 4790K. Both survived to "ripe old age" ;) I was already making plans to delid my 7700K when I was getting ready for my upgrade. Joe (Earthdog) and S_I_N both offered to lend me their delidding tool if I needed it. As luck would have it I got my honey chip which didn't need to be delidded :D

Other reason why people don't want to do it with a razor is the fact that when you put too much pressure then thin PCB will bend and you can throw away your CPU. The same if you scratch PCB. Earlier series ( pre SL ) were easier to delid because of thicker PCB. Not to mention that it's bad idea for less advanced users.
It's not hard to notice that there are less people who are into overclocking each year. Most just use auto OC options or try to OC with 3-4 options in BIOS and think they are so good. Many others are just gamers who want ( more want than need ) faster hardware than they can buy and they don't want to risk their hardware too much ( and have no idea how anyway ) so they'd rather go the easy way. This is also the reason why AIO water cooling is so popular recently and manufacturers are trying to deliver "idiot-proof" hardware.

I have Ryzen 1700X for gaming and it's fine even at stock. For tests/reviews I have 7700K which is delidded just because I needed it for competitive benching. If it was for gaming only then I wouldn't think about it.
I dont consider myself a serious OCer and to delid the processor with a razor blade wasent even something I had to think about. It's just part of the process same as adding vcore to up the frequency. Deliding is much the same as overclocking, you get better performance for less money. Sure, I could buy a giant water cooling rig and spend $400, or I could just delid and run a $20 Evo 212 and still say cool through 5 Ghz. It's literally the exact same concept as overclocking. And like overclocking, sure you could brick your gear deliding with a razor, but the risk is small if you go slow and be chill. I've done it twice and both worked like a charm. Used a razor on the 3570k and again on my 7600k. It was easy as pie.

The didference between putting in some values and physically removing the IHS are night and day activities. Not the exact same... diametrically opposed some would say.

Back