• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Delidding W-2191B (18 core iMac Pro CPU)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yzord

I am an iMac Pro technicus and i help people with their iMac pro's (and of course other Macs) when they are out of warranty. Lately i started to notice that the late 2017 iMac Pro's are becoming more hotter then the newer ones. View attachment 211960View attachment 211961.

De left one is a late 2017 model (delivered in January 2018) and the right one delivered in December 2018. As you can see there is a HUGE difference in temps.

I delidded my i7-8700K cpu back in 2018 and this was pretty easy to do. So i tried to find information about delidding the special cpu's from Intel SkyLake series for the servers. But i really can't find any info on it. But i saw a LGA2066 i9-9980XE video from Der8auer (which is of course a later model), but he made me a bit frightened, because he is talking about soldered cpu's.

So, my question is, as i want to buy the W-2192B Intel cpu (18 core SkyLake CPU from 2017), delid it and put some liquid metal on it. But can this be done? Or is this also a soldered one? I know the i9-9980XE is a 2019 one, but i thought, let me ask this question on a overclockers forum, so here i am :)

Here is the cpu info page https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/xeon_w/w-2191b

The chip in the iMac pro may already not have an IHS. I think from a video I saw this is the case. I may be wrong! If you do it, be careful with setting proper mounting force on the cooling solution.

IHS or no IHS, a cleaning and proper application of TIM or liquid metal will often improve cooling.

It has an IHS for sure. It's the late 2017 model...the first one.

The i9-7980xe did not have solder BUT my i9-9820x did. This is a hit or miss option from my point of view. Delidding the i9-79xx Series Improves it's Thermal Performance - BUT - Delidding the i9-9820x (with solder) made it worse. I lost ~100MHz after de-lidding my i9-9820x :-(. <- This is also running it bare die with the same AIO that let me hit a higher speed.
^ This is the reason that I haven't jumped to de-lid my i9-9900kf.

IHS on the W-2xxx's including Mac's is not soldered and still used the same crappy tim as the non-Xeon counterparts.

Back