• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Delidding : w/ or w/out IHS on ? and CLU or grease ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

White Wind

Hi, I'm gonna delid and watercool a 4670k and I'd like to know what's the best way to go ( temps-wise ). The infos I can find contradict themselves so I don't know what to do and what will be the coolest :

- CLU between die/IHS and CLU between IHS/block ?
- CLU between die/IHS and prowled thermal grease between IHS/block ?
- prowled thermal grease between die/IHS and CLU between IHS/block ?
- prowled thermal grease between die/IHS and prowled thermal grease between IHS/block ?
- CLU between die/block ( no IHS ) ?
- prowled thermal grease between die/block ( no IHS ) ?

..assuming the grease chosen is the best of its kind.

I would have thought there would be a consensus on that question, but it seems that not... even amongst tests the results go both way

You can cool direct to die, I would use CLU for that, but you run the risk of cracking the die with your water block.

The safer option is to use the IHS with CLU for the die interface and your normal TIM for the block to IHS interface.

Why risk it... what are your goals with this move?

The conservative side generally says not to touch it unless you are temperature and not voltage limited (do you know what you are?). The rest say do it, LOL!

You can cool direct to die, I would use CLU for that, but you run the risk of cracking the die with your water block.

The safer option is to use the IHS with CLU for the die interface and your normal TIM for the block to IHS interface.

Thanks for your thoughts :) Yes those seem to be the way

If I choose to go direct-die I'll use the EK-Supremacy PreciseMount that works with Haswell too ( http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-supremacy-precisemount-add-on-naked-ivy.html )
It's basically shorter screws that make the block fit better the chip when there's no IHS, and help to apply more even and suited pressure amongst screws when placing the block.

Knowing that, you'd go direct-to-die ? You think it'd yield results a bit better ?

Why risk it... what are your goals with this move?

The conservative side generally says not to touch it unless you are temperature and not voltage limited (do you know what you are?). The rest say do it, LOL!

My goals, well, just better temps ^_^ I still have to build the rig, which I'll do without having the chip delidded in the first place, but the thing does grant a significant drop in temps in most cases and I'm definitely aiming for that, be it for temps, better oc/pushing voltages or longer lifespan.
Though I'll definitely watch my steps and remain careful and read a lot etc before I do anything

Back