• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell 2209WA 1680 x 1050 @ 75Hz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am a proud owner of this fantastic monitor. Loving it every time I use it, its absolutely an amazing kit and well worth the cost.

Ok well I just want to give some real evidence of the 60hz vs 75hz frame updating. (I won't really call it refresh cos that just confuses as you can already read from previous posts)
Basically if the lcd monitor is running at 75hz it can "change" its pixels 75 times per second.
You won't notice it very well when v-sync is on because v-sync is a configuration for smoothing out your visuals, so its not really good to have it on if you need to spot small imperfections during updates.
The best way I found out to test 60hz vs 75hz is actually in Photoshop CS4 with gpu acceleration, you will also need to make sure your GUI is NOT v-syncd, Vista Aero for example is v-syncd, XP is the best to use.

Basically just open up a picture and go into Photoshop's fullscreen mode and use the grab tool and just throw the picture around the screen, you will notice the tearing as the picture moves, you should see a difference in the update from the tearing, there will be what seems like more tearing on a 75hz BUT the tearing will be a lot closer together. Where as the tearing on a 60hz update will be a lot wider and not as smooth because of the longer update interval.

Considering most peoples eyes can't really see more than 60 frames per second it won't make much difference to most people.
If you want the real refresh rate of an LCD then its basically what your eyes can handle since its just constantly on!
Or technically if you want to use the milliseconds, a potential 1000/6 = 166.7 frame updates per second. So technically an LCD display can potentially handle up to the equivelant of over 160hz at 6ms.

Damn I'm good ;) kek

I am a proud owner of this fantastic monitor. Loving it every time I use it, its absolutely an amazing kit and well worth the cost.

Ok well I just want to give some real evidence of the 60hz vs 75hz frame updating. (I won't really call it refresh cos that just confuses as you can already read from previous posts)
Basically if the lcd monitor is running at 75hz it can "change" its pixels 75 times per second.
You won't notice it very well when v-sync is on because v-sync is a configuration for smoothing out your visuals, so its not really good to have it on if you need to spot small imperfections during updates.
The best way I found out to test 60hz vs 75hz is actually in Photoshop CS4 with gpu acceleration, you will also need to make sure your GUI is NOT v-syncd, Vista Aero for example is v-syncd, XP is the best to use.

Basically just open up a picture and go into Photoshop's fullscreen mode and use the grab tool and just throw the picture around the screen, you will notice the tearing as the picture moves, you should see a difference in the update from the tearing, there will be what seems like more tearing on a 75hz BUT the tearing will be a lot closer together. Where as the tearing on a 60hz update will be a lot wider and not as smooth because of the longer update interval.

Considering most peoples eyes can't really see more than 60 frames per second it won't make much difference to most people.
If you want the real refresh rate of an LCD then its basically what your eyes can handle since its just constantly on!
Or technically if you want to use the milliseconds, a potential 1000/6 = 166.7 frame updates per second. So technically an LCD display can potentially handle up to the equivelant of over 160hz at 6ms.

Damn I'm good ;) kek

some body's been googling..lol

No googling there, just pure experience and logic common sense.

I'm an animator and gamer, so my life depends on knowing everything about visuals and motion, fps, etc.

But if you find a website that has all this info be sure to point it my way, It may have info I don't know and I'd love to learn anything extra. :)

Where are you guys getting these monitors from? I checked the dell site... they seem to be out.

i just got it!

errr i thought it was VESA compliant?

i unscrewed the metal bracket off the stand to see if the holes would align with my mount. it doesnt.

Can someone help me out here

2209WA Heat problem

Just got the monitor last night. I was successful getting to 75hz.
Has anyone noticed that this monitor gets very hot, esp in the back, top of the monitor. I have brightness down to 12 and contrast down to 20 using DVI and the monitor emitts alot of heat after 2.5 hours of use.

Has anyone encountered the same problem. I know this is an e-IPS screen, and should be warmer than a TN, but this is insane.

Thanks

is there special software on windows that flips everything when the monitor is turned to its side? If so is it available for osx?

is there special software on windows that flips everything when the monitor is turned to its side? If so is it available for osx?

I don't know if I'd call the video drivers 'special' :beer:

It's right in the Nvidia control panel, and they do have a Mac version. I'm sure ATI's is just as easy to spot if that's what you're running.

Attachments

• rotate.jpg
    rotate.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,507
Hello guys, did anyone tried this guide with the latest nvidia's drivers? (190.38). With the previous one (186.18) I did it without problems, but with the newer ones it keeps saying that my monitor doesn't support that custom resolution. Thanks.

you sure you got everything right as well as the checkbox that says allow modes this monitor does not support?

dont have the latest drivers but i dont see why a different driver would screw with things.

you sure you got everything right as well as the checkbox that says allow modes this monitor does not support?

dont have the latest drivers but i dont see why a different driver would screw with things.

Yes. I tried going back to 186.18 to be sure and it worked perfectly. I don't know why it doesn't work with these new drivers :(

This is my configuration before I click on "Test", then the display turns black and says that the input timing is not supported by the monitor display.

Any ideas?

Sort of the same issue here..... I can't get the 75hz through the OS display settings either. Try the Nvidia and I get a custom mode fail whenever I try to apply custom.

Back