• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell D400 should i buy a battery?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rumbl3

Well i got a old dell d400 laptop 12.1 inch.

Things pretty old still works well tho. Battery has taken a beating tho and only last about 20 minutes now. Should I buy a new battery for it? I mean i can get a chinese knock off for 35 dollars or less off ebay.

I was going to buy a netbook but eh like 200+ dollars to get my hands on one. So I thinking about just buying thsi thing a new battery and trying to undervolt it if it's possible.

Just using it to basicly sit on the couch and do school work and take with me places to do school work (like when i get stuck at my mother in laws all day sunday with nothing to do usually lol)>

If you're going to use it, then get a battery... but just look around for a used original that's been tested to last. You can get lucky with the Chinese ones, but I wouldn't. The D400 batteries aren't really sought after, can probably get a lot of 5 that work for around $30 shipped.

I don't think you can undervolt it that easily. It uses the typical PM Banias chips, just like the D600. The biggest thing I would recommend is wiping it clean and put a good OS on it, then making sure you have at least 768-1GB of RAM depending on how much you'll use it. It can be a really good laptop though, I never have them in stock long.

Cool, thanks for the advice i think it's only got 512mb on it and i was gonna throw xubuntu on it.

I found some official ones for 25 bucks brand new so i think i'll order one of tomorrow.

Yeah when it's got a fresh install (win xp on it now and has not been redone in about 3 years) the thing flys. I would think with a light verison of linux on it probably fly a little faster.

Back