• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell Flat panel LCD Dying, help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

speederz

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if you could help me.. I work repairing computers so the cpu gabinet is not unfamiliar to me.. but when it comes to lcd monitors, i got to admit I'm a newbie...

Someone brought me this LCD monitor, It's a 17" Flat panel from Dell... wondering if I could fix it without obligation (it's from a friend, I though I'd give it a try...)

below I put two pictures of the monitor "just waking up" -As soon as yout turn it on you get the better image, and 4-5 minutes later when it starts getting worse and worse to the point where you cant practically see anything (so you just turn it off/on and start over again)

I also placed a monitor OSD on the picture, because any graphics card issue is off the list (if you leave it on with no VGA cable, Self test feature does the exact same thing)

I was thinking it might be one of the capacitors, but hoping someone could orient me a little before dismantling it.

Thank you!

P.S I also noticed it gets worse on hotter days..

Attachments

• DSC_0648.jpg
    DSC_0648.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC_0650.jpg
    DSC_0650.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 48
To me it appears the TN-Panels are going, usually two are used, but based on the first image it appears there are three on this monitor, top, centre and bottom.

I may be wrong, but it isn't a capacitor issue. I can see why you suspect that, but it could be a combination of capacitor issue and panel related.

So is there anyway to fix it? I mean does it have a solution? (even if it involves buying spare parts)

Yeah, you can replace panels providing they still manufacture/sell the panel.

You'll need to know the panel number that is required etc. No guarantee it is the panels that are faulty, as I only had pictures and brief fault description to go by.

I took it apart, here you can see all the electrical components.. would you mind telling me where the possible problem is so i can check it?

Attachments

• DSC_0668.jpg
    DSC_0668.jpg
    746.4 KB · Views: 43
This is the back of the monitor, what I am referring to is the panels, underneath the silver plate you can see.

That's if it is the panels, but based on the description and original imaging it appears to be a panel fault.

As they appear to be using LG Panels the parts should be easy to locate online.

I thought Dell only used LG for their 24"+ monitors, unless this is 4+ years old?

Back