• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell H310 HBA and ancient AMD motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HankB

Hi all,
I've recently acquired said card and would like to use it in an MSI 880GMA-E45 . This is not a new board - bought in early 2011 and perhaps dated even then. (Introduced in April of 2010.)

Specs for the card (if I have the correct ID) are at https://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/55...heets/documents~dell-perc-h310-spec-sheet.pdf. The card is flashed to IT firmware so it will not display any messages during POST.

I've plugged the HBA into a newer Intel system and it is recognized. It does not show up in this old warhorse. The specs for the card and MSI motherboard are both PCI Express 2.0 but perhaps there is more to compatibility than that. I looked for a BIOS update but it already has the most current as of 2011-02-28.

Is there anything I can try other than look for a newer motherboard?

Thanks!

It should work in PCIe x16 slot ... but you may need to turn off other storage controllers or if your motherboard supports that then you may need to change PCIe slot or IRQ settings. IRQ on this mobo is probably automatic with virtual resources assignment and then can be a problem as new controller may not get enough resources to be visible.
I would recommend to disable all additional controllers, SATA, USB and everything else you don't need and check if it works.
Problems like that are on most motherboards but usually the main issue is with RAID ROM not being visible when other storage controllers are in use. You have that disabled but something is clearly wrong.

Thanks for the info. For better or worse I've upgraded to a new-to-me Supermicro mobo with ECC RAM and two Xeons. And it recognizes the HBA.

I'll tuck that bit of information away should I need it in the future.

Thanks!

Back