• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell just released their "Mini 9"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

You knew it would happen some day..

and it has

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/.../laptop-inspiron-meetthemini9?c=us&l=en&s=dhs

0906_img03.jpg

0906_img04.jpg

h

0906_img_15.gif

So far this looks like the best UMPC

Yup, I checked out the specs, looks to blow the now overpriced eee pc out of the water.

Wow maybe, it was supposed to have the x1300 in it but they went with the 950 instead (which cant even do HD video)

known about this since they have had a deal for the last week top get one for $99 with the purchase of certain laptops

apparenlty compared to some Acer ones, this is overpriced and not worth it... limited to the small mini PCI harddrive of 16G max, rumor is it can only handle 1G of max ram..

I've looked at the mini 9. I think the Aspire 1 is a bit better. 160 gb hdd, 2gb max ram, and still only $350 on most websites, while the Mini 9 costs over $450 for 1 gb of ram and a 16 gb ssd.

I've looked at the mini 9. I think the Aspire 1 is a bit better. 160 gb hdd, 2gb max ram, and still only $350 on most websites, while the Mini 9 costs over $450 for 1 gb of ram and a 16 gb ssd.

The SSD is a heck of alot faster than the 160GB HDD though and costs alot more. So in comparison, the Acer is cheaper to build at the manufacturing level. Just basing on the value of the laptops, the dells is a better buy.

A 160GB HDD would be nice though.

Well yes the SSD would be faster to read, but they are very slow to write, which may be fine for some people, but I would get annoyed by the speed and also probably use up all of the space, which is the main reason I like the acer, and plus it has sweet color choices :beer:

Yup, I checked out the specs, looks to blow the now overpriced eee pc out of the water.

Keep in mind the eeePC is using an underclocked full desktop processor. The Atom is far weaker than the core-based celeron and requires higher clocks for equivalent performance.

Keep in mind the eeePC is using an underclocked full desktop processor. The Atom is far weaker than the core-based celeron and requires higher clocks for equivalent performance.

u realize the eee pc no longer uses the celeron? they all are on the atoms.

Personally i think a 9 inch screen is just too small... 10 inch is perfect (i have an old ultra portable 10incher)

This mini 9 tho is a sweet lookin laptop... they need to make a Mini 10 with intels upcommin dual core atom and 2gb of ram... that would be SWEET.

The SSD is a heck of alot faster than the 160GB HDD though and costs alot more. So in comparison, the Acer is cheaper to build at the manufacturing level. Just basing on the value of the laptops, the dells is a better buy.

A 160GB HDD would be nice though.

In access time only. The 160GB drive would be one of the current single platter/160GB drives, so it would be faster in throughput for read and write for sure. The 120GB that came with my One was a Hitachi 5k320 and smokes the SSD drives in throughput.

Dell is giving a good deal on a 16GB SSD, I will agree, and it is easier to take apart to upgrade ram/ssd if so desired but you can't really upgrade the SSD, there aren't many decent priced 1.8" SSD's on the market at this time whereas with the One, if you get the HDD version, you have your choice of 2.5" SSD's, and there are starting to get plenty of those with very good performance.

Also, you can get the 6 cell with the AAO, you can't get one of those with the Dell. Nor can you go past 1GB as well.

I think Dell really dropped the ball on this one personally. Yes, Acer has a bad reputation comparison wise (though that does depend on who you talk to). Dell should have given the option for a hard disk, bigger battery, and more ram. Asus and MSI allow for 2GB modules, why is Dell limiting to 1GB?

u realize the eee pc no longer uses the celeron? they all are on the atoms.

Personally i think a 9 inch screen is just too small... 10 inch is perfect (i have an old ultra portable 10incher)

This mini 9 tho is a sweet lookin laptop... they need to make a Mini 10 with intels upcommin dual core atom and 2gb of ram... that would be SWEET.

The 900 model still uses the Celeron, though you're right if you mean that they are not coming out with any new models with the Celeron CPU.

The issue I have is that the 901 with 12GB SSD is the same price almost as the 1000 with 80GB HDD. Pretty expensive. For cheaper, I will have the AAO with 1.5GB RAM, 320GB Seagate 5400.5, and 6 cell battery (along with the 3cell).

Back