• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell Optiplex 9010 Desktop PC , transfer Motherboard to a ATX case possible ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

s8n

Registered
hi OC members , i am thinking of getting a used Dell Optiplex 9010 Desktop PC to replace my Core2Duo MAME PC. I want to play more powerful types of Arcade Hardware (Taito Type X2) and the C2D can't handle them. So i thought of buying a used Dell Desktop and removing the Motherboard and other hardware and transferring it to a new ATX Case. I want to get a new 550W PSU and GFX Card too , so my question is will the original Dell Motherboard fit in a ATX Case ?

eager for replies

edit...........

from some google searches these Optiplex's are picky with RAM and have other issues. I'm thinking the best way to go would be building a quality PC for this application........what do you guys think ?

51t3cNlDCzL.jpg

Last edited:
I'm with E_D on this, even if you buy used to make it affordable you'd be better off. Thos OEM systems come with their own quirks and headaches. SOme boards won't work on a regular system. Different layout and different power connections the list goes on really.

Indeed. Generally one of the things you would almost certainly run into is dedicated/proprietary cables are used to turn the computer on as the standard (on ATX cases) bunch of little cables are not used in Dell cases. There's other things that are relatively unique, but that's a big one. I'm also not certain if all of the screw holes and everything are to ATX specification or some other proprietary setup.

thanks guys i knew i could rely on you for the right choice. I think i will build a new PC later in the year and my bedroom one will be moved and become the MAME PC , the current MAME PC will be stored in case of an emergency. I will be back asking for choice of parts for the new PC later in the year.

thanks again you've been great as always

Back