• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DELL PSUS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
Ok I was recently given a 750W PSU pulled from a DELL system. Does anyone know if they are still using non standard pinouts on the 24 pin connector? I know this was an issue back in the day, but I think I remember someone saying that they stopped doing that. So anyone know?

Depends on how old the PSU is. You're right, they were using some non-standard ATX pinout, but then went back to the standard.

What system was it pulled from?

I am not sure where it was pulled from, but its probably from one of the workstations at his work, and probably not more than 2-3 years old.

then you should be good, one way to check. just try to plug it in, if it doesn't go then it doesn't go.

I'd still check the voltages before jamming it into a system, unless you don't care about the hardware. Takes a minute or two to verify, if you have a multimeter. No sense in being reckless.

Some Dells still use special PSUs. You'll definitely need to check the pinout.

I thought Dell switched to standard ATX PSUs way back in the early 2000s. I had a Dell 8100 that was proprietary, but the 8200 (a year or two later) was more standardized.

I'd still check the voltages before jamming it into a system, unless you don't care about the hardware. Takes a minute or two to verify, if you have a multimeter. No sense in being reckless.

This is my point mostly. I do have a MM and I can test the pinout myself, but I didnt want to waste the time of dredging it up and testing it if there wasnt atleast a 50 50 chance It might be usable.

Back