• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Delta Electronics PSU, Good enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jeepguy_1980

I recently upgraded my home server and now I've just bought a new case for it. I got a U-Nas NSC-400. It uses a 1U PSU. I'm not familiar with most of the brands that make PSUs in this size.

The case came with a Delta Electronics PSU, is this a reliable PSU? I once bought a no name PSU and built a PC around it, but the PSU was bad and ruined my brand new parts.

My server uses the following parts:

H87I-Plus Mobo
i5-4570S

2013-08-23%2012.53.32_1.jpg

Very solid unit, just on the small side. A 7 drive NAS unit (that I'm rebuilding) came with a 300W 1U PSU and a Pentium M board. (Beware that hard drives are motor loads with significant inrush!)

I think I'll stick with this PSU then. I'm running 1 2.5" HDD and 2 3.5" HDDs, but will eventually have all 3.5" HDD bays filled.

Right now the server is down, because there wasn't enough clearance for the CPU cooler, not even my Noctua NH-L9i would fit.

Delta is the biggest PSU maker in the world and has even designed its own regulator chips
The Delta I'm using now was built in 1999, and except for cracked solder joints on the transformer when I got it (rough handling by UPS?), it's never needed repair, not even capacitor replacement (checked several, less than a year ago, for capacitance and ESR).

Many newer Deltas are made with lower quality capacitors, often Ltec, but Ltecs seem to hold up well in PSUs, unlike in motherboards.

Back