• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU Cables too short, bought extension, doesn't fit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baris_

Hey guys, bought a new PC just for work but I have the following problem:

Firstly, the PC:

Case: NZXT H210
Motherboard: ASUS Prime H410I-Plus/CSM (mini-ITX)
PSU: Corsair SF450 Modular

It is my first mini-ITX build and when attaching all the cables I noticed both the cable to the CPU and the big ATX cable were too short. Thus I bought an extended cable so I could attach the ATX cable to that but then I noticed it doesn't fit as the part that goes into the PSU is not 24 pin but 28 (18+10)..

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-06 at 17.09.12.jpeg

Kinda don't know what to do right now as when I google 28 pin ATX cables I get no entries.. Anyone know what I can do?

Sincerely,

Baris

Do tell how....

...I'm assuming you plugged that into the connector end and then into the board? It doesn't look like an extension that's supposed to go from your PSU to the board.

EDIT: 28-pin??? Whaaa? please tell us what that is and how you fixed it. :confused::thup::D

Do tell how....

...I'm assuming you plugged that into the connector end and then into the board? It doesn't look like an extension that's supposed to go from your PSU to the board.

EDIT: 28-pin??? Whaaa? please tell us what that is and how you fixed it. :confused::thup::D

Hey ED!

To avoid any confusion. I have two cables. An original PSU cable that is 24 pin on one side and 28 (18+10) pin on the other. The second cable is an extension I bought that is 24 pin on both sides. I don't know if this is normal but it's reality.

First I had the PSU cable motherboard and I tried to attach the extension to the other side, which as you can see in the picture, is impossible because that's trying to put 28 pin in 24 pin.

What I realized later is that I could switch them. So now I put the extension in the motherboard. The other side is 24 pin, I attached that to the 24 side of the PSU cable and then the 28 pin is obviously the part that goes into the PSU.

I never worked with an extension before so I'm still weary of even powering it since the extension is a different brand etc.

I don't know if this is normal but it's reality.
It's what you asked for... an extension. 24-pin female and 24-pin male. If you wanted a longer cord from the PSU, you would have to contact the PSU maker who would get you that 'proprietary' end. But yeah, plug in at the end of your current cord to make it longer. Easy breezy. :)

Honestly, it's a good thing it didn't fit. Each PSU manufacturer has its own way to pinout the power supply end. The motherboard end is standard. If it had fit you definitely would have had a nice light show.

baris, I take it you haven't built many from scratch computers. One thing I note is that the PSU you bought is for a small form factor case. That's why the cables are so short. The case you got is a mini tower but not a small form factor case. The case you bought will work with a standard size PSU which would have come with longer cables.

Back