• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PciE slot saying "empty"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
so why not thinking amazon sold me 2 faulty components?
Nothing wrong with thinking it... but realize that **** happens sometimes and that is no reason to shun anyone.

Amazon customer service is, typically, very good as well as you have noticed. But it isn't amazon's fault either (likely - unless there was physical damage).

When purchasing new products from Amazon I have seen folks complain when they received the components they were not sealed or used.

Last edited:
When purchasing new products from Amazon I have seen folks complain when they received the components they were not sealed or used.

I have seen that as well but also with NewEgg when it was supposed to be new and not open box. Apparently, some used stuff is slipping through the cracks now and then and being labeled as new when put back in inventory.

Ok guys new graphic card arrived and mounted... Nothing! Does not work... At this point I think it's something else fault.. CPU?

A new thing I noticed is that by clearing the CMOS the graphic card pass the post and the ez debug get stack at green light and stay lit green, this should be an Hard disk fault. Now since the incident I never formatted the HDD (an m2 nvme samsung 960pro which is... Guess what?! A PCI-E device), could this help?
Also, could the SSD conflict with the GPU?

Could be the CPU also the culprit? PCI-E lane gone after the incident?

Could the back plate of the CPU waterblock short some component of the motherboard causing the issue? (something similar happened to me many years ago on an old socket 775)

It's what I have done so far, having display with the IGPU and only that

So guys I cleared the CMOS again, and I removed the SSD, I booted up and still that green light on post, so the M. 2 SSD does not conflict whatsoever. Plus that green light is not releted to the SSD but is something else.

In my opinion problem is the CPU at this point

It could be different pins and still work, but obviously that is highly doubtful.... still worth checking it and the bottom of the CPU for damage.
Plus that green light is not releted to the SSD but is something else.
What is it for???

I don't know, but it happens only after a CMOS reset, if I use my saved profile, the GPU ez debug led (white color) is the one which stays lit. At this point guys I think I will wait for the new ryzen processor and buy a new processor and motherboard. In the meantime I will use the GPU connected to the actual CPU and MOBO I have, will this damage the GPU? Or you guys suggest me to unplug it? I don't want to stay without PC for months ahead

If the GPU video card doesn't work, just remove it and go with the IGP. Not sure why you are asking if leaving the GPU in the PCI-e slot will harm it? It's already broken, isn't it?

Who knows what it is.. this has been a bit tough to follow for me...

If I was you, I would put the GPU in a box and not leave it in the PC.

It's unplugged from the mobo I'm just using the gpu waterblock to allow the flow through the loop and still using the computer while I'm waiting for the new Ryzen and so changing CPU and Mobo again

I was thinking of this guys, could I probably mounted the cpu in the wrong way into the socket? Did ever happen to you? What happens if you mount the cpu for example upside down?

I take it by "upside down" you mean rotated 180 degrees rather than bottom up. In the Intel socket there is a notch on each side of the socket base edge that corresponds to a small bump on the edge of both sides the CPU PCB. The small bumps fit into the notches. This is what wingman99 was referring to I believe.

Back