• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PciE slot saying "empty"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Things dont have to show burnt signs to be broken.

I hope it's the motherboard.. but you already tested with one so I'm not holding my breath. Start making plans to RMA the GPU or buy a new one.

I don't think I can RMA the GPU, i put a waterblock and repaste the die with liquid metal

I've been suggested to check for burnt sings, I repeat myself, I don't understand why the mobo doesn't not detect a fault during post. I hate these new mobos, before they were beeping, now just blinking bloody leds. Talking about leds, when I connect the GPU in the slot the led that states the presence of the GPU does not switch on, another sign of the pcie slot to be broken imho

Last edited by a moderator:
Put the stock cooler back on it and RMA it.

There is no need to repeat it. We know you're hung up on thinking it's a bad motherboard. But since you got it replaced and know it's different than what you sent in, chances are it isnt the mobo.

If this doesnt fix it, I'd rma the GPU or see if you can get it tested in another PC (even if it costs a few dollars to have it professionally tested.

Well at this point I will try the gpu first in the new mobo comin' than I can try to RMA the GPU by putting back the stock cooler, no alternatives at this point, I will update you after the new installation

I have a similar tale as well. It's a hard lesson to learn. In fact today I was very tempted to clean some dust from part of my PC with a cloth but I had to remember the hard lesson and leave it for a power down.

When I was in high school I had saved up money all summer mowing lawns to purchase components for my first rig. Not my first build, but my first rig that was really mine, not a hodgepodge of hand-me-down parts. I had one GB of the fastest DDR I could afford, Mushkin Black Label, an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ which had a locked multiplier, however could magically run at double the FSB and become a 3200+, and an ATi Radeon 9500 Pro. I had access to a bunch of old heatsinks from various hand me down systems from the 90s, and a friend and I got together the idea to chop up these heatsinks and place them on VRAM and mosfets. At the time people were very impressed when Newegg managed to ship something in two days, so really to order something like thermal glue would require a lot of waiting. My friend suggested I use superglue on the corer and thermal paste. Worked well enough until I bumped one of the VRAM heatsinks trying to move a thermocouple while the system was running. Out came the blue smoke and I was done gaming and back to mowing lawns. Luckily all that died was the 9500 Pro. Edit: I just dug up the post I made when that happened. I guess I was off a bit on my dates. Please forgive the cringe grammar, I was understandably a bit upset.. While digging around I also discovered that at one point in time, I attached one too many 3.5" drive or delta fan and over loaded my PSU. Nothing bad happened, but the device didn't work. SO I HOT GLUED a scrap PSU into my case to power my fans. I don't remember that one at all. Maybe a little bit about a drive that didn't want to work intermittently.

Last edited:
Hello Guys how are you doing? I'm back to tge topic to update you, basically I purcased a new videocard (an Aorus RTX 2080 Waterforce WB) and you know what?... Same problem the PCI-E slot says Empty again!!! What th... How is this possible? Since the accident I RMAed the Mobo I even Purchased a new Mobo, I purchased a freshly new GPU and again PCI-E slot empty. At this point by narrowing down the culprit, the only possibility left is the Power Supply, since the incident probably doesn't erogate enough power to feed the beast. What do you think guys?

By using (only as a matter of try) the old failed GPU into the slot I dumped the slot again generating an issue with the slot or you guys agree with me the last option is the power supply?

Could have shorted it again if the card was bad.

The power supply has plenty of power to run the system.

I would not use liquid metal in any scenario except under the lid of a delidded CPU. Once I used it on the top side of a CPU lid and when I went to remove the heat sink later on it scattered fakes of metal down on the motherboard. One tiny flake lodged at the top of the PCI-e slot where the card was inserted and created a short between two card edge pins. I didn't notice it at first and even baked the card in the oven to revive it because I thought the card was dead. This turned out to be unnecessary as after that I spotted the flake of liquid metal that was causing the short. I cleaned that flake off and she worked fine.

Could have shorted it again if the card was bad.

The power supply has plenty of power to run the system.
Well my power supply is a 600w gold, but very limited for my system (i7 7700k @ 5.1Ghz + rtx280) plus if the power supply got damaged somehow probably it doesn't supply enough energy. Don't know what to think. Do you really think the bad card has shorted the PCI-E slot again?

That PSU is not limited for your system. RTX 2080 is 215W card. With overclocking, you are looking at maybe 250W max. The CPU is 95W... at 5.1 Ghz, it isn't hitting 200W. The rest of the system is almost negligible compared to that... mabye 50W. So if everything was running 100% you wouldn't be hitting 500W...

...again, power wise, the PSU is fine.

You are plugging in the PCIe power cables to the video card, right?

Obviously...

Honestly the reason why I am thinking is the psu is because of that accident that happened, psu might have lost its efficiency resulting in a less power than needed, i mean, I RMAed the mobo, I bought a new mobo too, I bought a new GPU also, fresh psu cables... The last thing that remains from being changed is the PSU. Can't believe of 2 motherboard with faulty pciE slot and two falty gpus it's ridiculous I should be the most unlucky guy of the planet.

Trying to keep you updated, I changed the power supply too and gpu still not recognized... I also tried to reseat the card into the slot (you never know...), but nothing At this point I think I am the most unlucky guy of this planet and purchased a new gpu which is faulty out of the box, otherwise I have no explanation.

One more thing I noticed on the card, as soon as I press the ON button on the card two white leds related to the 2x8 pins connector switch on and 1/2 sec later switch off again, is that a normal behavior?
It didn't seem to act like that with the previous power supply but not sure about it

In your opinion? Am I missing something? Or really I am so unlucky I bought a defective gpu?

Pick up a cheap low power PCI-e video card from ebay and keep it on hand for motherboard testing purposes. One that doesn't require direct power from the PSU.

Unfortunately my cpu/gpu water loop makes everything more difficult.. What should I do with this low-end card?

Sounds like something in the system fried something else to begin with and the something else fried new components that you added in. It's a vicious circle. At least if you are testing motherboards and PSUs with a cheap video card, if something fries the card you're not out much. Frying rtx 2080s gets expensive fast.

Have you read up on the problems folks are having with the new RTX cards dying? https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/nvidia-rtx-2080-ti-graphics-cards-dying/

Guys you wanna listen to something funny? Today I switched on my computer and... Surprise my freshly new power supply doesn't work... WTF?!?! (I am talking about a Corsair HX850 80plus platinum) using my previous power supply computer boot up again, but with the new one doesn't, niente, nada, kaput, I think I am the most unlucky person on the planet, I think buying PC components on Amazon is not a good idea. 2 devices, 2 faulty one. It's impossible my PC fried the power supply, the previous one works, an 80 plus gold sfx by corsair with 600w that also was involved in the accident, if that supply is not dead, impossible the new one is because of my computer, it is a faulty one. Last night when I had just built it in, was up and running and but my pc suddenly had a BSOD never had with my old PSU.

Sounds like something in the system fried something else to begin with and the something else fried new components that you added in. It's a vicious circle. At least if you are testing motherboards and PSUs with a cheap video card, if something fries the card you're not out much. Frying rtx 2080s gets expensive fast.

Have you read up on the problems folks are having with the new RTX cards dying? https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/nvidia-rtx-2080-ti-graphics-cards-dying/
I am aware of this, so it's not that impossible I received a faulty card, also,as I just stated, the new PSU I bought got faulty too after one night of use. Amazon is not that great to buy components if I may

Well, in Amazon's favor is the fact that they take returns with no questions asked. Best vendor I've ever dealt with in that sense. You won't have any problems dealing with them for a replacement PSU or any other component bought recently enough to be covered by there return policy. What , 30 days?

Amazon is not that great to buy components if I may
You may... but... I wonder...

First, are you sure you didn't get these through 3rd parties selling on Amazon?

Second, it can't just be bad luck? I get the numbers, but you cannot shun a place who ships out MILLIONS of things per day with success due to some presumably bad luck. If this was common...........

Onestly guys I don't know, a bought a motherboard, a gpu and a psu. The motherboard from a 3rd party seller, the GPU and PSU both from amazon itself. OK the Incident , but it's very unlikely my PC fried a fresh new PSU whilst even the old one resisted to the incident while it was up and running, and the new PSU is totally kaput, no response on booting at all. And honestly why the GPU should not be faulty too? Plus the MOBO has very poor quality component, looks very fragile, on the first day a took out the display port and the little piece attached to the connector of the mobo came off together with the DP cable (WTF?!), also the screws of the Wi-Fi antennas got loose after a thigtned em up (WTF again?!). By the way I'm taking my chances asking for two fresh new products before stating they were ok and all got fried in a vicious circle I can't get off. Repeating myself, the old PSU (efficiency loss or not) still works, so why not thinking amazon sold me 2 faulty components?

I don't completely complain about Amazon itself, they are sending me 2 fresh products without me sending them back, so customer support is great

Last edited by a moderator:
Back