• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PciE slot saying "empty"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I called the intel technical support today and tge guy suggested to run the Intel diagnostic tool, at least I can give it a try just to see if those PCI-E lanes are gone. 99% my cpu is tge culprit, changing CPU should finally solve the issue. AMD Ryzen 3 please come soon

So I ran the intel diagnostic tool, now.. I don't know how much I can trust it, but the cpu passes all the tests, if the PCI-E lanes were broken it shouldn't, correct?

D'know for sure. It would depend on where the PCI-e problem was. In the chip or in the board? But you have tried different boards, right?

D'know for sure. It would depend on where the PCI-e problem was. In the chip or in the board? But you have tried different boards, right?
I did try different boards but only with my previous GPU (faulty?) with the new GPU only the new board, I was thinking of trying the old motherboard (the RMA one) as a matter of completion. If the 2 boards (new one and RMA one) are taken for working, then should be the CPU the problem

It's not showing in the bios... cable and monitor doesnt matter in this case.

Are you still using a pcie riser card to connect the GPU (since its vertical mount) or direct connect to the motherboard (sorry if this was covered). If a riser card, try direct connect. Those go bad pretty frequently in my experience.

Last edited:
Gpu is directly connected. I never thought about cables and monitor, cause the iGPU works with no issues. The problem is this, gpu is not detected (when the bios boots using the iGPU) otherwise ez debug leds shows GPU fault (white led stays lit). If I reset the CMOS (with the pins),gpu passes the post but get stuck on green light, and no signal on display. Motherboard is new (not the one involved into the incident), GPU is new (amazon sent me twice, both same behavior), PSU is new too (Corsair HX850 platinum 80plus). At this point I started thinking of the CPU, as suggested from the intel technical support, i ran a couple of test with Intel diagnostic tool, all the tests pass. I tried to boot the pc with only one ram module, nothing same behavior. I tried to boot the pc with no ssd m2,nothing. I also noticed that the m2 ssd is not detected but works booting into windows

Last edited:
I wouldn't bet my life on it, however, I doubt it. Try with one stick and see? Try with a different brand? Anything (free) is worth the effort IMO.

No I do not have different RAM modules, but I already tried to boot with one module.

If it was the CPU on the PCI-E lanes should the NVme SSD not work too? It's also PCI-EXPRESS, isn't it?

I tried the new GPU on my old motherboard, the RMAed one and nothing doesn't work, but on this (an MSI board) the ez debug led blink red on CPU and not on the GPU so it doesn't detect a fault on the GPU. Waiting for ryzen 3800x

Back