• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Design a HSF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tbird man

we as a community should get together and design a HSF for the o/c masses. we should brain storm and do research to cooperativly come up with a design and all pitch in to have it made we could do water blocks and rads too

well it would have to b Cu for starters and i think we should use a similer design to the swiftech with pins or maybe fins like the glaciator and a fan like the glaciator(i.e. houseing built into the HS and open sides or noise reduction). the problem comes in the pins i supose we could space them out a bit more and mill them out of a solid block. money woulden't be much of a problem. this woulden't be a mass production just to see what we can do working together. than if we want we could take the plans to a local machine shop and have one made.

But what kind of heatsink formation s the best for cooling? Would we need more surface area? What kind of fan? What are the dimensions? What processor is this for? Just a few questions for us to get started. ;)

I suggest a socket A/370 HSF. That's the most common type of chip around here.

-DarkArctic

YES yes this is exactly what i had in mind. i think we should research these things. I think it might be good to make it for an 80 or even 92mm fan. more surface area, larger fan to push more air with less noise. 80 would probibly be better as we wouldent want the dead spot too big over the die. perhaps some kind of small venturi to direct a portion of the air over the core.

80mm is axactly what I was thinking. But for the heatsink itself I was thinking that a pin configuration doesn't work so well. I've read that fins are the best, more metal to take away the heat. What did you have in mind with that venturi thing? Maybe a quick design pic? What would the RPM and CFM on the fan be? I've heard of some beastly fans. BTW, we should have it exhausting, not blowing onto the heatsink.

-DarkArctic

Oh okay. So you just want a couple pieces of metal or something to direct a bit more air at the core. But if we have an exhaust fan (which I think will be better at cooling) then that wouldn't matter, in fact it may even hinder it a bit.

How thick are the usual heatsink bases?

-DarkArctic

I have a 3 axis mill availible for cutting out test stuff, but not production. Give me exact dimensions, Mastercam file, or Autocad file and it could be done.

Edit: You may have more luck cutting a waterblock on a mill than a heatsink....think bit size.

I would go for using fins rather than pins. Fins seem to me to be easier to make, and you can make them thin enough to counter the greater surface area provided using pins. You could try for a fin that looks like screening for even greater surface area, but then you are getting back into the 'hard to make' catagory. :D

Also, I think it would be great if it were easy to attach a duct to. Getting the CPU fresh air is great, but even better when you can do it easly! :)

JigPu

JigPu said:
Also, I think it would be great if it were easy to attach a duct to. Getting the CPU fresh air is great, but even better when you can do it easly! :)

JigPu

Threre's always duct tape. Wonderful stuff. :D

-DarkArctic

GOOD GOOD i think we could try to do it both ways blowing on or exuasting and see which is better the duct is a good idea i am thinking a plumbing flange of the right dia. with holes drilled for mounting on a fan and use duct with a hose clamp to mount. we should also consider a cross flow design which would negate the need for a venturi.

does the size of the fins affect how far the heat will travel up them?

i had idea about makeing a box out of al with copper core

then haveing copper whires shoting out fo the core attaching to the sides of the box.

its hard to explain ill attach some of my ms paint skills

crash893 said:
does the size of the fins affect how far the heat will travel up them?

i had idea about makeing a box out of al with copper core

then haveing copper whires shoting out fo the core attaching to the sides of the box.

its hard to explain ill attach some of my ms paint skills

Yes, the more metal there is the more heat it will absorb. Although I don't think that your design will be that efficient. The fan can't effectivly cool the fins. I've seen other companies do that sort of fan configuration and it doesn't prove to be to effective, only in passive cooling. The standard fins straight up is common and it works great.

As for a second fan on the side, that is an amazing idea, but would we have room? This is turning out to be a large heatsink. Maybe if we only did a standard 80mm fan for both side and top. Right now it's 80mm tall and 80mm wide, not including fans. That's a behemoth. We also need to figure out how we're going to attach this to the mobo. Socket attachment or use the bolt holes. If we use bolts then that would limit it usefulness only to Athlon sockets.

What's the dimensions for a socket?

-DarkArctic

I have pages and pages of AMD tech docs from when I was designing a waterblock (never finished...), they're all availible from AMD's site, and have everything you need dimension-wise (keepout areas, socket dimensions, etc.)

Back