• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Desktop Speakers better then Klipsch Promedia 2.1?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darksparkz

I've got a set of Klipsch Promedia 2.1s powered by and Audigy 2ZS. I'm looking for some speakers that are fairly small or about the size of the promedia's that can fit on my desk. If I do 5.1 or 4.1, I'd end up putting the rear speakers in front of my anyways, not much space.

Not much space for a shelf speaker and amp/reciever setup either. Just looking for something with more bass and clear sound, maybe some Logitech setups, Z-5500/5300e?

I've got a set of Klipsch Promedia 2.1s powered by and Audigy 2ZS. I'm looking for some speakers that are fairly small or about the size of the promedia's that can fit on my desk. If I do 5.1 or 4.1, I'd end up putting the rear speakers in front of my anyways, not much space.

Not much space for a shelf speaker and amp/reciever setup either. Just looking for something with more bass and clear sound, maybe some Logitech setups, Z-5500/5300e?

I can't think of any with the Klipsch Promedia 2.1's quality and in it's price range. Even then you'd need a dedicated powered sub and receiver for decent surround. If you have limited space and will be at your desk using the computer then I'd stick with a 2.1 system. (And right now the pro media's are one of the best, so there is nowhere to go really but to a full surround sound setup.)

My 2.1 Klipsch's sub is set at the standard marked level (about 35% of max) in a 12 x 13 open room 6 feet from my desk with wall to wall carpet and you can still feel it on the opposite side of the house one floor down. So I have to say I'm not quite sure how much bass you think you need.

Also the whole point of a 5.1 surround sound is to 'surround' the listener with sound by giving what you are listening to some directionality so what you are watching feel more immersive. Buy sticking all of the speakers on your cramped computer desk not only have you defeated the purpose but the sound is going to get completely muddled to the point of uselessness when sounds that are supposed to feel like they are coming from behind you are in fact coming from the front.

I've listened to friend's Logitech set ups and they have listened to mine, and they have admitted to the Klipsch 2.1 pro media's sound being superior. I don't think you're going to get any better sound without a full receiver, powered sub, and decent well placed speakers.

Examples:

dolby1.jpg

5_1speaker_setup1.jpg

dolby-pro-logic-iiz-surround-sound.jpg

- Blackstar

The Promedia 2.1's have notoriously muddy bass from the subwoofer. They sacrificed quality for quantity. It sounds ok for gaming but musicwise it's simply dreadful.

OP, what's your main use for the speakers? Gaming, music, movies, something else? How much do you have to spend?

If you want more bass, get a dedicated woofer in your setup..., if you want clarity, the pro media's deliver.. they just keep there highs clear and not too high pitch like logitech,

basically the treble ,, its higher much higher on the logitechs then a pro media ,, soo you hear clear mids and clear lows and the tweeter is not exaggerated .... gl

Looking for mainly music. I've heard subwoofer setups on the logitech 5.1 series, much more crisp bass response then the Promedias.

Looking to spend about $200-300 possibly.

If you want more bass, get a dedicated woofer in your setup..., if you want clarity, the pro media's deliver.. they just keep there highs clear and not too high pitch like logitech,

basically the treble ,, its higher much higher on the logitechs then a pro media ,, soo you hear clear mids and clear lows and the tweeter is not exaggerated .... gl

Please stop posting nonsense. If you have detailed listening experience with both sets at least make a reasonable comparison. What you have posted doesn't help anyone.

Your Klipsch's will absolutely destroy anything Logitech makes for 'clear sound'.

The klipsch IFI was a godsend but it's gone.

Your only real choice here if you want fidelity and bass is 2 good bookshelfs a nice sub and some kind of amplifier.

Please stop posting nonsense. If you have detailed listening experience with both sets at least make a reasonable comparison. What you have posted doesn't help anyone.

Also there's the point that the Z-5500 have no tweeter. So yes, it's not exaggerated- because it does not exist. :soda:

Your only real choice here if you want fidelity and bass is 2 good bookshelfs a nice sub and some kind of amplifier
There's always headphones, where fidelity is cheap, bass accurate, though not exactly voluminous. I always prefer my headphone rig to my speaker rig for critical listening. The speakers are certainly nice in their own ways though.

Also there's the point that the Z-5500 have no tweeter. So yes, it's not exaggerated- because it does not exist. :soda:

I also thought that would be true, but I'm not up to snuff on the low end garbage to have known for sure and was too lazy to look it up :eek:

Looking for mainly music. I've heard subwoofer setups on the logitech 5.1 series, much more crisp bass response then the Promedias.

Looking to spend about $200-300 possibly.

A friend was looking in a similar range not long ago, and based on reviews, went with Audioengine 2's and a PE sub. Turned out to be some very good sound for the money.

http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcomponents/1207ae/ reviews the speakers, http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-390 is the sub.

Nice pic, ya a Bose system will give you bass acoustimass 15 or 16

Klipsch makes speakers only. Logitech and other companies make other devices as well.

Klipsch is a pro brand name. Most movie theathres the speakers are Klipsch in most movie theathres.

Pro Media 2.1 gives you THX , The woofer is good but can get lost as you turn up the volume. For that you need a good woofer sound system.

Try getting another pair of Pro Media 2.1 ,, so yoll have 2 bass units ,, and 4 speakers in front of you giving you plenty of volume, great mids,, highs are not soo high , like logitech,,, treble on logitech is way high, Pro Media the mids are crystal clear and the highs are great, not exaghaurrated high pitch like others trying to make their units sound better...

anyhow good luck,,, and gb to all on this thread.

Back