• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Destination Folder Access Denied

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
Am having an issue here at work. It is a windows 7 pro 64bit installation. We are on domain. User has admin rights (head of a department here in the state govt., what he wants, he gets, considering he is head of purchasing).

Can plug any usb drive into his system and it reads them fine. We can format the drives. We cannot write to them. These same drives work on any other system.

When we try to write anything to the drive, it gives the following error message: Destination Folder Access Denied: You need permission to perform this action.

1. I have taken ownership of the drives (with his rights, and with my rights as a domain admin) and it will not allow us to write to any drive.

2. I have corroborated that all write permissions are properly set.

3. Drives are not encypted.

4. I have reset his user permissions and no change.

5. I have even gone to the registry to the following key and changed it to ensure that writeprotect was disabled: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Storage

6. Used both Diskpart and Computer Management Console just in case something was messing with drive assignments. Neither changed anything.

At this point, I am not sure what to do.

I am tempted to reinstall his USB drivers, but considering it reads drives/formats drives properly, his mouse and keyboard work properly, etc., it really does not seem to me to be a USB driver issue.

What am I overlooking?

Under file sharing the "Allow network-users to change files" needs to be checked. Usually it's checked by default, but it might have gotten changed somehow.

Under file sharing the "Allow network-users to change files" needs to be checked. Usually it's checked by default, but it might have gotten changed somehow.

Was checked.

*sigh*

This is like chasing a ghost through the woods. I know the answer is right in front of me, but I can't see it because I'm bashing my face off of trees.

Flash drives or external? Sounds like you have the write protected feature on a flash drive enabled? Although I think that that was the case, you couldn't be able to format it...

Be sure you have permissions not just in the Security tab, but also the Sharing tab. Click Advanced Sharing, Permissions. Could be set to read only there.....

Be sure you have permissions not just in the Security tab, but also the Sharing tab. Click Advanced Sharing, Permissions. Could be set to read only there.....

Is set properly.

That is why I am confused on this. Everything is showing as properly set. I have reset all user permissions just in case something was glitched, and confirmed they are all proper.

Also, is this something that just started happening? Has it worked before? System Restore could be an option too.

With his account:

Go to Disk Manager
Blow out partition
Create new partition
Format (quick)
Unplug it
Replug and let it get detected
Create folder on drive (does it work?)
(If so) Go into folder and create file

That's how I have to set up the externals at my workplace (Federal Govt) due to security policies in place...don't ask...Govt work is "odd" to put it mildly.

With his account:

Go to Disk Manager
Blow out partition
Create new partition
Format (quick)
Unplug it
Replug and let it get detected
Create folder on drive (does it work?)
(If so) Go into folder and create file

That's how I have to set up the externals at my workplace (Federal Govt) due to security policies in place...don't ask...Govt work is "odd" to put it mildly.

I understand. I used to work in IT for HUD. I know how strange security policies are. I had access to AD info that maybe a handful of others did and had FBI down my shirt every day just in case i took that 'sensitive info'.

State govt. now. Not near as strict, but still, when the guy in charge of buying whatever it is you need, needs help, you give it.

Anyway, I already tried your suggestion already using disk manager (i did it from command line and from GUI). No dice.

What's the make/model of the drive? Is there proprietary software that you have to use that's available at the manufacturer's website? Have you tried formatting in safe mode as a local admin?

I know you said it was working previously, but often times not-so-tech-savvy people convince themselves of that when it's not actually true.

Is there any software installed that might be causing this. We're required to run Symantec Endpoint Encryption here at work, which does exactly what you describe here.

I know you said it was working previously, but often times not-so-tech-savvy people convince themselves of that when it's not actually true.

Is there any software installed that might be causing this. We're required to run Symantec Endpoint Encryption here at work, which does exactly what you describe here.

I know it was working because I'm the one that setup his system. LOL.

We do use Symantec Endpoint here as well, but as unmanaged clients (someone else - before i got hired here earlier this summer - goofed up on the licensing and didn't setup the management server right *sigh*). That is one thing I haven't fiddled with. What would you suggest I try? Temporarily disable his Symantec? (which if that is the case, it would be more than just his system screwing up. I have the same exact hardware/software layout except for a couple proprietary internal-to-dept. programs whose only job is to access a mainframe - no local access/writing is done with them.).

Back