• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI Lanparty nF4 Ultra-D compatible with PCIe2.0 and 3.0?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Freakazoid665

Registered
Hi.

I'm thinking about to renew the grafics of my HTPC, a XFX 7600GT running on the mobo of the title paired with an A64 3700+ and 2 gigs of ram.

The reason for this is getting new APIs like OpenCL, DX11 and so on running on this old PC and hoping to reduce power consumption a bit without loosing (or increasing) gaming capabilities.

First of them all I need to know is if modern PCIe 2.0 or 3.0 cards can work on the good old nF4 Ultra-D. If i get a yes we can start searching for a GPU that fits my needs.

Thx

Yes, it will work as they are backwards compatible.

As far as which card... what is your budget?

A simple 7750 should do just fine from the AMD side of the house, or a GTX 650 from Nvidia.

Wondering, even though a new card would work in that setup, if the OP would be better off upgrading to a more modern rig....maybe an AMD a6 setup? Would be able to handle everything needed from an htpc perspective (and even some light 1080p gaming). Moving to the new platform would give pretty decent on-board graphics (certainly an improvement over the 7600), pcie3, sata3, hdmi, etc, etc...been a lot of changes since the dfi and 3700+ came out.

Just doesn't seem to be worth spending anything on an 8 year old platform. That mobo has some residual value...he could sell it to offset the cost of the new build.

Last edited:
Budget would be about 50, max 60.

Would be cool a pasive cooled one, not wider than the 7600GS from gigabyte as that 1 almost was touching the top reinforcement of the case Silverstone GD01MX Pasive isn't a must cause anything quieter than the 80mm fans of that case would go also.

Powerwise, the 7600GT was about 60-65W, aiming lower than that for the new 1 in order to not to stress more that 20 bugs PSU.

Ok, digging arround the internet I've got 2 candidates, HD6570 and GT630, both with 1GB DDR3 and 128bit bus.
Higher amount of vram or GDDR5 would make them drop out of my prize range. (seriously, having same or twice the VRAM than system RAM sounds like a waste of money, at least for me)
Seeing bench charts, the winner seems the AMD, also on power needs.

Would this GPU be a good choice or should I wait for a low end 28/22nm card to show up?

Back