• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI Lanparty OR Abit For AMD ocing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

O.C.CaTaLYsT

I am buying a new motherboard for my koolance watercooled case. I just recieved my xp 2600 mobile and 2 Raptors. I was going to get the DFI lanparty untill I read somewhere that raid performace on that board wasnt to good. this made me rethink my decision. Should i get the dfi or the abit? Is the raid performance on the abit better? Would the Abit overclock better or as good? What are the differences? I was thinking about the abit Nf7 but i just saw that they have a an7. What is the difference? Is the an7 a better board?

Choices-
DFI Lanparty-
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=13-136-138&depa=0

ABIT
AF7-http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-167&depa=0

NF7-http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-144&depa=0

NF7-S-http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-166&depa=0

Please help me decide!
Thanks

Well the dfi nforce2 boards will overclock higher. With good ram like the ocz eb and a bios flash you are likely to hit 250 fsb on the dfi lanparty b or ultra infinity.

The sil3114 onboard raid on the dfis doesn't perform as well as the sil3112 that comes on the abits for some reason. The sil3114 does allow you to use 4 sata devices vs 2 for the sil3112.

If the raid performance is more important go with the abit nf7s 2. If you just want to clock high I would go with the dfi lanparty b or ultra infinity.

O.C.CaTaLYsT,
Best thing that you can do for yourself is to go to the forums for the specific brands you are considering and do some reading.

Cant stress this enough.

Laterz,
3sixes -aka-dafanman:cool:

Ive heard about the Infinity's reaching skyhigh FSB...tho a friend of me has got the NF-S, works fine as well (215x11.5 i believe)

this is with new tictac's bios on my unmoded nf7s:

251fsb-prime4hrs.GIF

dfi still has better mem. voltage options but if you get something like adata or hyperX, nf7 should handle those at high fsb.

what kind of VDIMM options do these 2 have? I believe I have heard the lanparty goes to 3.3, but I don't know this for sure, and I don't know the other 2.

I'm considering buying one of the 2 for a second computer, and this would be a major deciding factor.

!!!

The lanparty is awesome, hands down. If paired with adequate cooling and good memory, you will never go back.

I am testing at 10x250 with the system in my sig now, I have worked my way up to that in the past few days, awesome board!!

BTW, have NOT had to do any bios swapping. stock one.

O.C.CaTaLYsT said:
i bought the lanparty board today and it is awesome. the vdimm max is 3.0v BTW. This board looks so cool and is really fast. Im glad i bought it instead of the abit.

The maximum dimm voltage is 3.3 dontcha know.

The ultra infinity has all the same voltages as the lanparty b, but without all the bells and whistles.

Edit: Looking at your sig it looks like you got a revision A Lanparty not the revision B. That explains the 3.0 max vdimm.
The revision B lanparty or revision A Ultra Infinity are what you want for overclocking. They are basically the same in terms of overclocking (voltage, bios options, etc.). The lanparty B comes with two lan adapters, one a gigabit, a bunch of cool accessories, and it looks real nice. Otherwise they're the the same board.

Last edited:
Well I am currently using a NF7-S right now but I got a brand new Infinity sitting here in the box, just waiting for my proc to come in the mail before I slap it together. I got a DFI cause people have been hitting crazy high FSB's and the Vdimm is 3.3v (I have BH-5 and dont trust myself yet to do a volt mod).

I would try a DFI board if I were you they seem to be the hot new board for AMD at the moment.

Edit: Looking at your sig it looks like you got a revision A Lanparty not the revision B. That explains the 3.0 max vdimm.
What? is it a big enough of a difference that i should try to take it back and get a different one? how will overclocking be affected? is the revision b more expensive? i really want that gigabit ethernet for lan parties!!!

Last edited:
Re: !!!

dreIU said:
The lanparty is awesome, hands down. If paired with adequate cooling and good memory, you will never go back.

I am testing at 10x250 with the system in my sig now, I have worked my way up to that in the past few days, awesome board!!

BTW, have NOT had to do any bios swapping. stock one.

Hey I guess that ocz eb is working great. If you didn't have to change bios then cpc must be enabled which is awesome. My bh5 double sided ram doesn't work well with cpc. I micht have to try some ocz eb.

Re: Re: !!!

julianba said:

Hey I guess that ocz eb is working great. If you didn't have to change bios then cpc must be enabled which is awesome. My bh5 double sided ram doesn't work well with cpc. I micht have to try some ocz eb.

CPC what? I am not sure I have seen that in the bios, and yeah I am on the original bios. tell me more about cpc...

O.C.CaTaLYsT said:
back to my question, will it make a big difference changing from a revision a to a rev b??

In your sig, it says you have the Ultra B. I dont know where you got the rev A from. OK ok, I see, mine is an ultra B, revision A+. Not sure of the difference. check out the forums @ dfi-street.com.

I did not see anything in the bios about cpc. :confused:

it says rev a on the board itself, but it has all the characteristics that they describe as a rev b including GbE, sata raid, cpu heatsink mounting holes, so im going to assume that its a revb i guess.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Back