• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI nF4 does not respond at all

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

svetko

i just came back from a trip and realized that my computer doesn't want to turn on. i don't know if there's been like a lightning storm or something, but the whole system just doesn't turn on.

when i try to turn it on nothing happens - no fans start spinning or any other noise. all quiet. the only thing that indicates any "life" is the yellow light on the motherboard and actually also the green one behind the LAN cable plug

- first i tested the PSU (OCZ 520). i unplugged it from the motherboard and left only a couple of fans attached to it and i connected pins 13 and 14 like explained here. all 3 green lights turned on, and both fans (including the PSU ones) started spinning. didn't see any problems.

should i presume that the PSU is perfectly fine?

- i disassembled the whole system and took the mobo out of the case. cleared the CMOS by shifting the CMOS jumper for 10 seconds. removed everything from it - RAM, video card.. except for the CPU (and its fan), which is still on the mobo - didn't touch it. plugged the PSU cable in the mobo and connected the power pins with a pin, to exclude the case power button from the equation. NOTHING. no life what so ever, except that yellow light on the mobo.

is it gone or is there anything else i can do to test it?

thanks!

My old OCZ PSU died in the same way. (It was also a 520) At first I thought it was the mobo as the psu would even boot another rig, but it no longer had enough juice to power my main rig. If you have an extra PSU you may want to try it as this was how I finally figured out it was the psu.
Good luck!

R7

My old OCZ PSU died in the same way. (It was also a 520) At first I thought it was the mobo as the psu would even boot another rig, but it no longer had enough juice to power my main rig. If you have an extra PSU you may want to try it as this was how I finally figured out it was the psu.
Good luck!

R7

hmm, so the 3 green lights on the back don't mean much? and does it take more power to spin the fans through the motherboard? i wish i had a multimeter..

hmm, so the 3 green lights on the back don't mean much? and does it take more power to spin the fans through the motherboard? i wish i had a multimeter..
I honestly don't know. It just sounds very similar to what I went through. When I contacted OCZ they replaced the PSU without any problem despite the fact that I could not find the receipt. It seems that a number of folks had problems with this model PSU, but most of the ones I heard about happened early on while mine didn't do this till last year. However, despite the similarities, you could still have a dead mobo. Finding another 939 mobo will be a hassle. You could pick up a PSU and if the board still doesn't work return the PSU for a refund. You might also try contacting OCZ support (They have first rate product support) as they may be able to tell you if your PSU test eliminates the PSU as the problem.

R7

One thing many folks overlook is the power switch. I have fixed about a dozen over the last few years that the button just wears out. To check, plug the reset switch on the pinouts for the power switch and try it.

One thing many folks overlook is the power switch. I have fixed about a dozen over the last few years that the button just wears out. To check, plug the reset switch on the pinouts for the power switch and try it.

I agree with the power button thing.

I remember panicking on July 1, 2003, because my Asus A7N266-VM/AA wouldn't power on, except for the green light being lit on the motherboard.

Because I connected the power button to the wrong spot, doh!

hmm, how can i do that exactly?

also idk if this info would help, but when i turn it on with the switch i do see indication on the mobo that its on:

LED1 goes solid yellow
LED6 (DRAM power) goes solid yellow at first but then instantly dims out to almost off.

i just tried the mobo with another psu (older and cheaper one) and noticed that this LED6 goes yellow and stays on - does not dim out. i was thinking maybe my OCZ is a smarter psu and detects that there's no memory sticks in the slots (that's probably a pretty stupid thought but i dont know much about this stuff)

EDIT: now the OCZ one (the one i am having the problems with) doesn't start at all.... how do i try this switch thing exactly?

Last edited:
Switch the leads on the mobo pinout, the power for the reset and use the rest button as a power button. You can also try holding the insert key on the keyboard and starting, if nothing, try the reset a few times(still holding the insert key), turn off using the switch on the power supply and attempt this again and again. After about twenty or so times that it doesn't work it probably will not. This is just a backdoor to reset the CPU detection for the mobo which can be lost at times for unknown reasons or OC.

Try removing the power and reset connectors from the board pinouts and use the power on button on the board itself.
I would also try a long (24 hour) cmos clear. Remove psu, push the manual power on button to clear the capacitors, remove the mobo battery, then move the cmos jumper.
Come back same time tomorrow and reverse the procedure.

Back