• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI nF4 SLI-DR RAM problems...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zexmarquies01

Ok, I am wanting to use 4 gigs of ram. The problem is, It will only let me use 2 gigs.

2 sticks are PC3200, the other 2 sticks are PC4000. They both work perfectly fine.

1st, This motherboard DOES support 4 gigs of ram. ( at least, it SAYS it does....)

2nd, this mobo does NOT like 3 sticks. Simple as that. Even the manual makes this perfectly clear.

3rd, When 4 sticks are used, you have to set the command clock to "2T" speeds, as it won't even post if it's at 1T speeds.

Well, after setting it to 2T, and inserting the other 2 sticks, the PC will post. But it will only read 2 gigs. To be specific, it will only read the sticks in the Orange slots. It ignores the RAM in the Yellow slots.

Also, It is still running in Dual channel mode with all 4 sticks in. ( Dunno if that info is relevant or not. )

I have tried putting everything in Auto mode, and i have the same problem. I have also manually set the ram speed, and timings, and it still ignores the ram in the yellow slots.

Also, Everest reads all 4 sticks. It will show me all the info on each stick. But the Bios only reports 2 gigs. So, it seems like the bios is reading that the ram is there, It's just deciding not to use it. ( and to be clear, windows also only reads it as having 2 gigs. )

I'm beginning to think my only option is to get 2, 2gig sticks so i can have 4 gigs.

I'm trying to go 4 gigs, because i want to install vista. XP is getting sluggish on me, and i want to give vista a try again. ( Vista was only about 6 months old when i tried it the first time. ) But, i do not want to use vista with less than 4 gigs of ram.

That, and I really have having 2 gigs of ram just sitting around, not being used.

So, any Idea's or help? Or Am i screwed, and stuck with 2 gigs?

I was there, and can attest to this. The post would only show 2GB, the OS would only show 2GB, but Everest showed all four sticks in the DIMMs and reported their stats and SPD info.

Mixing RAM types is a big no-no. It seldom works and almost always leads to problems. You really need to run the same RAM sticks in all slots and the closer to the same production date the better.

You might as well mix the RAM sicks in adjacent slots as to mix the pairs - there's not that much difference to the IMC or the BIOS ...

Mixing RAM types is a big no-no. It seldom works and almost always leads to problems. You really need to run the same RAM sticks in all slots and the closer to the same production date the better.

You might as well mix the RAM sicks in adjacent slots as to mix the pairs - there's not that much difference to the IMC or the BIOS ...

Sad thing is, I already tried mixing the ram. It won't post when i do that.

I have pretty much tried every combination, and it's a no go.

Bah...This sucks. I think instead of buying new ram, and going to vista...I think i'll start saving for an Intel i7 Setup. I'd rather spend my money on an upgrade.

hmmm ... running 2x1gb corsair twin-x (silver) and 2x512mb corsair twin-x (black) no prob system recognizes all 3gb of ram both in bios and os (xp pro sp3) <shrug> may need to update your bios

I had this exact problem!

I had this exact problem with my SLI-D board. I messed around with DRAM timings and voltage and all that other stuff to get it to work but nothing worked.:-/ I really thought i had busted the DIMM slots. But then i tested the slots in pairs and all was working.

But what fixed it for me was to skip the two extra power connections on the motherboard. The extra "floppy" connector and the extra 4pin.
dfi.gif
Both of them are just to ensure proper stability if you are running two graphic card in SLI.
I also took out the power cable, pushed the powerswitch several times to ensure that it was completely discharged.

Then when i booted up it posted.:D

The DFI Nforce4 cart are really picky about ram so make sure to set the timings before you put in all ram. Put in the slower ram, boot into bios, fix the timings for the slower ram (you can try to push the timings later when all is working) and make sure that it runs in 2T, the DFI Nforce4 boards apparently have major problems with running 4 modules in 1T. :(

If this doesn't work, try to borrow a really good PSU and try it, i've heard that many problems with the DFI Nforce 4 board have been solved with a good PSU.

Good luck!

Back