• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI Nforce4 SLI-DR and DFI UT Nforce4 Ultra-D are becoming available

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hitechjb1

As of today, DFI Nforce4 SLI-DR and DFI UT Nforce4 Ultra-D are becoming available in retail stock.

A price-performance PCI-e system (as of Feb 01, 05):

DFI UT Nforce4 Ultra-D $160 or DFI Nforce4 SLI-DR $210
Winchester 3000+ / 3200+ $150 - 200
XP-90 $40
2 x 256 MB or 2 x 512 MB TCCD based memory modules, e.g. G. Skill PC4400 LE, $130 - 260
6600 GT or 6800 GT depends on budget and level of gaming needs $200 - 400
Fortron Blue Storm 500W AX500-A or Antec Neo Power 480W or OCZ PowerStream 520W (try reusing PSU first) $90 - 120

Total = $770 - 1230 (depends on 512/1024 MB of memory and video card)

The Nforce4 Ultra-D can potentially run dual video cards, either in x16/x2 DXG mode or real x8/x8 SLI mode after mod.

Anandtech just put up a review "DFI nForce4: SLI and Ultra for Mad Overclockers"
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2337

Nforce4 chipsets with PCI-e, SLI features

DFI LanParty NForce4

Both the SLI-DR version and the Ultra-D version use the exact same PCB layout.
Both versions have 2 PCI-e x16 slots, 1 PCI-e x4 slot, 1 PCI-e x1 slot.
Both versions have 2 regular PCI slots.

Vcore can be adjusted to 2.1 V, Vdimm to 4 V.

The SLI version has 2 x16 PCI-e slots for dual video cards each running x8 bandwidth.
The Ultra-D version has 2 x16 PCI-e slots for dual video cards running x16 and x2 bandwidth respectively.
In dual video card mode, it has been reported that the Ultra-D DXG mode is about 10% less video performance than the SLI mode, but about $50 less.

The SLI-DR version has 4 SATA + 4 SATA2 channels, whereas the Ultra-D version has 4 SATA2 channels.

For the detailed specification, refer to the following DFI links.

UT Nforce4 Ultra-D
http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_pr....jsp?PRODUCT_ID=3471&CATEGORY_TYPE=LP&SITE=NA
Dual Xpress Graphics (DXG) mode in DFI UT Nforce4 Ultra-D:
http://www.dfi.com.tw/Press/press_h...&TITLE_ID=4890&LINKED_URL=arch344.jsp&SITE=NA

Nforce4 SLI-DR
http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_pr....jsp?PRODUCT_ID=3449&CATEGORY_TYPE=LP&SITE=NA

A64 Nforce4 939 Motherboards

Last edited:
What's the outlook as far as overclocking Socket 939 boards go? Is there a wait for an Abit or Soltek, etc. board or is this the one overclocking board that is to be paired with Venice? What would you suggest for overclocking options (as opposed to features) or is it not clear yet what we're waiting for?

In other words, looking backward there are only three recommended nForce2 chipset overclocking boards: Abit, Soltek, and DFI.

There were different models those 3 brands had sure but only those 3 brands that had this chipset could post all multipliers on all unlocked CPUs. In other words, Asus nForce2 had excellent extras but was nowhere near the top of recommended overclocking boards with much cheaper Soltek nForce2 regularly outperforming it.

If the lookout is for "Abit-DFI-Soltek nForce2 like" brands of Socket 939, I would be much obliged if this question gets addressed in future threads & posts as you see new boards appearing. Question being separating extras from overclocking performance options.

Edit: I bought Epox nForce2 because of the huge hype that surrounded its release and now I have to mess with speaker wire to post high multipliers for Athlon XP mobiles, to this day I feel people still don't realize how much better for overclocking Abit-DFI-Soltek nForce2s are when compared to any other nForce2 brand so I sure hope we can weed out Socket 939 boards faster this time.

Last edited:
so far for 939 the consensus has been: wait for the lanparty 4.

I havent seen any results yet (cause they arent out :() but i know my favorite feature already is the 4v vdimm

I'd like an opinion instead of links please.

1. Are there anticipated major brand "yet to be released in 2005" overclocking Socket 939 boards?

2. Is there, and if so what is the reason to stay away from one Socket 939 board over the other if you keep this type of concern in mind from Socket A days:

c627627 said:
I bought Epox nForce2 because of the huge hype that surrounded its release and now I have to mess with speaker wire to post high multipliers for Athlon XP mobiles, to this day I feel people still don't realize how much better for overclocking Abit-DFI-Soltek nForce2s are when compared to any other nForce2 brand so I sure hope we can weed out Socket 939 boards faster this time.

For overclocking, rather than just features, important things are stability, high clocks, voltage range (especially for CPU and memory), memory timing tweaks, more memory_HTT_ratio. The DFI Nforce4 boards offer the above more than that from other Nforce4 boards such as ASUS A8N-SLI and MSI Neo4 SLI/Ultra-D. Features such as SATA channels, PCI-e slots, sound are also important factors.

The DFI, MSI Nforce4 SLI and Ultra-D are distinct from the Nforce3 Ultra in that they provide dual video cards mode for boosting existing video card performance (at a cost) and/or future video performance enhancement when price of video cards drops.

I hope these 939 Nforce4 boards can last through Venice and Telodo dual core.

That's the kind of info I was looking for, thanks.
I apologize for not doing detective work myself (still on Socket A with no plans to upgrade) but I'd sure like to know:

Your last sentence can be taken to imply no offerings from Abit, Soltek, Epox, etc. are on the 2005 horizon that are likely to compete with these overclocking features (or is no mobo info of this kind available like it is for future CPUs...)?

EDIT: I realize info of this kind may take time to investigate but I'll be checking this thread for an opinion in the future.
[Looking for an option that has overclocking features you mentioned but with a reduced cost that leaving out features like dual video card would bring.]

Last edited:
From the specification and bios settings, I think the current DFI Nforce4 SLI/Ultra-D boards have already provided most if not all the overclocking features one would want (as listed earlier), including chipset cooling, Vcore regulator cooling, SATA and SATA2 channels and various RAID configurations, ....

Baring from surprise from bugs of chipset, hardware, most would think the wait for a nice overclocking 939 system is "over" and it would last us through Venice, San Diego, Teledo under the 939 platform. I do not know what other manufacturers' would offer in the future, but I would think any improvement in overclocking and features over the current DFI boards would be marginal and not fundamental.

Feb 01, 2005 ordered a DFI LanParty UT Nforce4 Ultra-D right when it became available at ZZF. Got it last Friday, two days ago.

This weekend, picked up a Winchester 3000+ in a local store. Had the choice of 0447, 0448, 0450, 0451 of 3000+ and 3200+. Instead of a 3200+, I decided on a 0447 CBBHD 3000+ for $50 less than a 3200+. Though 3200+ is generally more flexible, but a 3000+ was picked on the assumption that the DFI NF4 Ultra-D motherboard and the TCCD memory I have can run 300+ MHz at 1T to deliver a CPU overclocking of at least 2.7 GHz. Also eventually I may switch to Venice, ... so don't want to spend too much on a CPU.

Video card is 6600 GT PCI-e, as the system is not mainly for game. Picking 6600 GT instead of X800XL (which is faster) is planned for eventual experimenting dual video card configuration , either in DXG or SLI mode. A 6800 GT/Ultra is too much to spend for me.

So the list is:

Winchester 3000+ 0447 CBBHD
XP-90
DFI LP UT Nforce4 Ultra-D
G. Skill TCCD 2 x 256 MB PC4400 rated 2-2-2-5 @200 MHz, 2.5-3-3-7 @275 MHz
BFG 6600 GT rated 525/1050 (core/memory)
Fortron 350 W 120 mm or Antec True 550 (reuse existing parts, will get Antec Neo Power 480 or OCZ PowerStream 520 W or Fortron Blue Storm 500W if needed)
A slow HD for testing (all fast drives used in other systems), will switch to faster drives

Testing is underway and preliminary results shall be available soon (hopefully in 24 hours).

More extensive tests will be done in the next few days, weeks and this will serve as my 939 testbed through Winchester, Venice, Telodo. May create another thread to discuss all the details, test results, tweaking, problems and resolution, ....

Last edited:
All right!

Best of luck hitechjb1.

This is a thread that needs to be stickied temporarily, nay, it should be published on the front page, surely you agree that there are many articles on the front page that are less relevant.

Good luck, we can't wait to see the results of the Winchester overclocking attempt.

Back