• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dial-up noise from dodgy x79 mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adelage

Registered
Hello,
I bought from ebay one of those chinese oem x79 motherboard, it works fine with a xeon 1650 v1 (it even manages to oc), the problem is that it makes a very annoying sound, a kind of coil whine but more like a 56k modem, it looks like the sound comes from one of the chokes around the socket..the sound is strong when I do basic activities (internet, file browsing, etc), and it almost disappears when the cpu is under heavy stress..any suggestion about how to get rid of it?

Find the choke that's making the sound and drown it in rubber silicone. The insulation of rubber should silence the noise.

I was thinking that but the chokes are enclosed, would it work as well?
BTW thanks for the superquick reply ;)

Hmm, enclosed? That would be a problem then. If the choke is enclosed/encased, then there's really noway of silencing it. Even if you did try the rubber silicone method, you'll only be encasing the choke cover and not the actual choke itself. The noise/buzzing will still continue.

Your best bet is to replace the board if the noise is unbearable as there's really nothing you can do if the choke in enclosed/encased.

mmm, I contacted the seller about the warranty (even if it's an unbranded chinese board the seller gave me 1 year of warranty), and he replied that if the board is fully functional the warranty doesn't apply, and buying another one would mean getting the same or spending above 200€ for a m-atx x79 board, which I am not keen to do..I am considering the idea of replacing the choke (I am decently skilled with the soldering iron), but first I will try to stress the system for a few hours to see if the noise goes away as it sometimes happens with some gpus

Back