• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did i do something wrong? with my Scythe Mugen 2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shotokun16

Registered
Hello

I was getting 37-39C Idle and on full load at 3.2ghz on a AMD phenom X4 II 940 BE i was getting temps around 49-50C through prime95. Ive been using Core temp, easy tuner 6, and CPUiz. Then again i live in california and i get temps around 91-102F. Room temps are usually 79F (night)-81F (in the day w/Air condition). But anyways im using a Scythe Mugen 2 with 1 fan and yet im still getting temps around 37-39C on IDLE (room temperature is roughly 78-81F)

IN result, i wanted to reapply my thermal paste (i.e. artic silver 5) and i noticed that cpu heatsink was in a slight angle. That could be the reason. But anyways after hooking up my computer and realigning the cpu heat sink and screwing it down firmly--i finally get 41-44C!! idle but at 3.0ghz Stock!

Question: how long will it take until i notice a difference in temp drops? is the thermal compound still undergoing its early stages? Should i wait 1, 2, 3 weeks until temps drop and then i can overclock? OR reapply again the thermal compound. AND installing scythe mugen 2 is B!#$ But scythe recieved good reviews and editors choice etc.

MY specs are stated in my signature

How much paste did you use? Can you remove the heatsink and take (good, focused) pictures of the bottom of the heatsink and the top of the CPU?

well i can but its a pain reseating the heatsink... SHould i wait for the thermal compound to reach its potential? (healing drying to the copper?)

is this correct:
"2nd, Arctic silver 5 while being an OK thermal paste (TIM), requires 200 hours of cure time. And mind you that also includes heat cycling. So if you never shut your rig off it could take considerably longer.
So if you actually add it all up it takes ~2 weeks to get it to cure properly.

At any rate, idle temps don't really mean much. Its load temps that you should be worried about. If my rig idled @ 45*C but loaded @ 55*C I wouldn't really care as that is definitely within the "safe zone". Now if it idles @ 41*C and loads @ 70*C then you've got a problem and I would reseat the cooler just in case. Remember just a pea size dab in the center of the CPU.

EDIT: If you can get your hands on some IC Diamond 7 or OCZ freeze that would be great. They're both a lot better than AS5 and have little to no cure time. <2hours."

Sorry, didn't finish my comment. They "won't drop much". Temps will lower when it breaks in.

I don't think that is your issue though.

What kind of case flow do you have? I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but your ambient (even though it is high) is still around 27*C which means the only way you could idle at 40*C+ is if the heatsink is not making full contact, or the air in your case is just circulated over and over.

What kind of case flow do you have? I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but your ambient (even though it is high) is still around 27*C which means the only way you could idle at 40*C+ is if the heatsink is not making full contact, or the air in your case is just circulated over and over.

Coolermaster Haf 932. The wiring is okay. nothing really in the way ill take a photo of it tomorrow. But i was reading this article that after 200hours some tests found that article silver 5 drops temps around -5C. right now with a couple mozilla firefoxes open im at 41C or at 40C now. It spikes sometimes its weird.

EDIT: coretemp1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/shotokun16/coretemp1.jpg

PS: in the future what thermal compound would you guys recommend thats far better that arctic silver 5 with a small amount of cure time?

By the way do you guys actually purchase everest ultimate edition?

EDIT: HOLY CRAP! 57-59C when i was using quick wizard on Everest ultimate edition

I think i didnt put enough paste or was mounted correctly hmmmm

Last edited:
I have never honestly noticed a HUGE difference (ok lets rephrase that to ANY) between initial power on and when it is "cured".

This is coming from someone who has everything from P3's to Phenom x3's running at once.

The temps dont really seem to change IMO.

properly applied, properly seated, proper airflow probably will do much more for your temps regardless of who makes the TIM rather then going with the "OMGTHISSTUFFDROPPEDMYTEMPSBY1COVERAS5!!!!!!"

!%()! god im mad i cant sleep and i guess ill be up till 4am reseating the heat sink! the da! thing went up to 58-60C when i was hitting report wizard! hmm ill take some photos of the aftermath

By the way any pointers on aligning the heatsink Mugen 2...i swear the thing keeps sliding and spreading the thermal compound all over...its tough on estimating if the screws actually go in then you gotta slightly slide to the right then left which spread the thermal compound around the processor making it ugly. i think the line method is not doing so well i think ill spread it with a card

OKAY! i found the problem. Make this a lesson to all the noobs (such as myself) who have scythe mugen 2 and who have a quad core cpu. DO NOT USE THE LINE METHOD! i've had bad experience. SO now i add two rice size blots and spread it aroun the cpu. But with the line method i god this: 100_5268.jpg

And i was getting 42C-50C! (didnt complete the cure period with the arctic silver 5 but i knew something was wrong whe ni was loading report wizard on everest ultimate. 100_5269.jpg

AND NOW! my new method. 100_5273.jpg

ANd then: 100_5274.jpg

THis thing is huge:
100_5266.jpg

ANd wiring isnt my forte... HMMM no wonder people get modulers... A lot of the wires are coming from my fan controller giving system temps etc.

100_5259.jpg

This is what i get now:

CPUtempsspreadmethod.jpg

Now i get 36-38C idle but i havnt done prime 95 since arctic silver takes 200 hours of cure time... so i guess after that maybe the temp would reduce to -5C and hopefully ill get 32-33C idle and i unnno what to say after prime 95. So in conclusion SPREAD YOUR thermal compound or make your line method longer cuz i suck at it.

PS: i might get a different thermal compound since the cure time on the arctic silver takes 200 hours! !!! im very impatient.
The compound that im thinking to get in 6-months is : http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/ic-diamond-7-carat-thermal-compound-15-gram-p-16605.html
http://hardwarelogic.com/articles/reviews/cooling/Thermal_Paste/ICD7.jpg

Very good read but keep a open mind: http://hardwarelogic.com/news/137/ARTICLE/2752/3/2008-03-03.html

Last edited:
Wow arn't you glad you took that off and looked ...

That cooler needs lapping imho...

100_5271.jpg

100_5270.jpg

WAit im a noob... what do you mean lapping? a clean slate of nickle or the surfaces of both the HS and processor needs to be mirrory clean?

YA im not a big fan on arctic silver 5 =( i want 28-30C IDLE! D#!N i guess ill wait after the cure time

When I use AS5, I spread it very thin with a razor blade, works very well. With MX-2 I just put a big "gob" of it in the middle and that also works well. AS5 I find to be to thick to spread out all the way under pressure, I suppose if way too much was used it would spread out. That cooler doesn't need lapping, you could but it has a good finish already. The CPU however could use it, at least mine did, it was quite low in the middle (high around the egde). I did lap my 720BE down to the copper but to be honest I don't think there is any gains to be had. A nice cooler like that and a proper mount will make a lot more difference than a lapped CPU. I use 99% IPA (iso propyl alcohol) to clean with, dries fast and no residue, sold in bottles at drug store. Could use the 70% IPA but the other 30% is water, water on my CPU, no thanks.

You are applying AS5 wrong and that is why your temps suck. You need to put a dot of AS5 in the middle of the cpu about half the size of a grain of rice, place the cooler directly over it and and twist it ever so slightly 1-2 degrees either way to help spread it out, then carefully screw it down without sliding it around. I also suggest since you have to remove the mobo to replace the cooler is to get the idle temps at what you want and then put it back in your case figuring your temps will jump about 2-3c maybe more.

ya i noticed the temps sucked thats why the line method (too small) sucks since hte viscosity is tough. So i just did 2 blots and used a plastic bag with my finger and spread it around the CPU. Right now im getting 37C idle

You are applying AS5 wrong and that is why your temps suck. You need to put a dot of AS5 in the middle of the cpu about half the size of a grain of rice, place the cooler directly over it and and twist it ever so slightly 1-2 degrees either way to help spread it out, then carefully screw it down without sliding it around. I also suggest since you have to remove the mobo to replace the cooler is to get the idle temps at what you want and then put it back in your case figuring your temps will jump about 2-3c maybe more.

I believe this was the prescribed method before the IHS was invented. On a "naked" core a dot the size of a grain of rice would probably be ok. The IHS is to large to make full contact with that little AS5. A large "bb" sized drop spread thinly works well for me.

Back