• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did Windows 10 get rid of the sounds?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

Ever since I fresh installed Windows 10 I haven't had that Windows feedback I'm used to in Windows 7. There are no start up or shut down sounds, no clicking sounds when I click on icons, and no sounds when I throw something in the recycle bin. Is this normal or is something wrong here?

Maybe that's a good thing as long as you can still hear sound from media content. Just poke around in the 'personalize' settings and you should find 'themes' which have their sounds which you can also customize.

I'm getting all kinds of sounds from my machine recently upgraded to Windows 10. Check in Control Panel for Sound and make sure the correct playback device is selected under playback tab. Then click on the Sounds tab and select a few of the Windows sounds for various functions. Test them.

So, I was wondering why I wasn't having windows sounds, such as the recycle bin, clicking on icons, etc. I tried everything. Then I remembered I had Windows 10 on my laptop. So I went into windows sounds on both computers and alot of the sound names did not have a speaker next to it on my main pc but they were all checked on the laptop. So I turned on all sounds for windows and saved it. Hopefully that works. Now the question is, How or what made my computer turn off some of the sounds on my pc?
Also after I put the speaker icon next to the sound names that are sposed to be on by default it says modified next to it. What could be the problem here, I am confused.

No Windows sounds in Windows 10

So, I was wondering why I wasn't having windows sounds, such as the recycle bin, clicking on icons, etc. I tried everything. Then I remembered I had Windows 10 on my laptop. So I went into windows sounds on both computers and alot of the sound names did not have a speaker next to it on my main pc but they were all checked on the laptop. So I turned on all sounds for windows and saved it. Hopefully that works. Now the question is, How or what made my computer turn off some of the sounds on my pc?
Also after I put the speaker icon next to the sound names that are sposed to be on by default it says modified next to it. What could be the problem here, I am confused.

I merged your identical threads into one, to prevent confusion and duplicate answers. Please only create one thread per topic.

Bump (post) in the existing thread...creating more threads tends to create confusion for the owner, an those helping.

Anyways, got sounds now right? How it happened, I have no idea. It hasn't happened to me.

I still don't think all the sounds are working 100% correctly but I have no idea what to do next. Thinking of reinstalling Windows but I really don't wanna have to redownload and reconfigure all my programs on here.

That is why people take backups/images and restore from them.

Time to troubleshoot... you wanted to be a PC tech and own your own business doing so right? What better Guinea Pig to see if you have the...uh....fortitude to do it! ;)

I still don't think all the sounds are working 100% correctly but I have no idea what to do next. Thinking of reinstalling Windows but I really don't wanna have to redownload and reconfigure all my programs on here.
Not sure whether you have resolved or not...a week has gone by....

Anyhow, if you haven't, I was just wandering what audio driver you were using? Did you cross-reference between Microsoft, Asus and Realtek as to which set work best? Many of the audio problems faced by users have been resolved by changing drivers/software and/or ensuring the settings are correct within the audio software. If you are on the P8P67 Deluxe and using the Realtek ALC889 chip then I believe you probably require the software release R2.79 driver 6.0.1.7541

This is what I do to turn all the sounds that annoy me.
The same procedure is used to SET different sounds instead of the default sounds.

* Start > Settings > Personalization > Themes > Advanced sound settings > Sounds TAB >
Under Windows: scroll down and click on Asterisk >
Under Sounds: scroll up and SELECT (None) >
then turn off all other sounds from the list that may annoy you.
> Apply, then (above) Save As… to save your sound settings to be able to restore them in case they get reset when other Themes are applied.

So for you here, you can simply Browse... to set a different sound file of your choice for each Windows action.

These settings have always been available, but they may be difficult to get to unless you follow the above instructions.

Back