• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Die/heatsink contact surface cleaning and the effect of surface imperfections.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FranBunnyFFXII

Registered
This might be a bit of an unanswered question or maybe something obvious, but I do want to ask it anyways.

I've developed a method that when I repaste a die/heatsink for a CPU or GPU, I use isopropyle alchohal and fine surface make up cleaning pads to completely clean and polish the contact surface. Afterwards I set the said subject down with the contact surface upside down(propped up so the surface can't contact anything) to ensure no dust can fall on it.
Essentially cleaning the contact surface to be as sterile as possible right up until the moment that I finally apply TIM, and attach the heatsink for good.

Is this excessive, or is there a method to this madness? would this have any affect on the cooling performance or is it just self serving placebo?
I do this with both my graphics cards and processors, using my own choice of TIM.

The idea is that using pure water and isoproypel alchohal is that purefied water when used with alchohal has a very hard time clinging and condensing to anything as it evaporates and alcohal obviously evaporates very quickly and provides a very sterilized(dirt and grime, not just microbes) and cleaned surface.
That and being very rigorous and maticoulous removes any microparticle contamination, allowing TIM to flow into the micro cracts and surface imperfections that would otherwise be filled up or blocked with dust and insulating particles.

Obviously some large contaminents could compromise the surface purity, but how much affect could micro particles have?

Could actually polishing the contact surface as heavily as possible(or at least till the point where I feel like I don't need to) create an adverse affect?

Is being super maticulous about it a good idea if you really into getting that perfect contact, or is it just fluff/placebo that doesn't actually do anything?

@Fran So long as your happy with the results, that's all that matters. Undoubtedly you won't be finding any eyelashes under the cpu block like I did once, at least that's what I think it was, maybe arm hair. Didn't seem to affect the performance of said block, had replaced some fans on cooler and moved things around, I was a lil more diligent in cleaning the second time around. Look into lapping the CPU and Block sometime if your trying to get every C of performance, I know it has caught my eye, but not sure if the labor is worth it, I'll give it a go on a build down the road I'm sure.

Now that I am not mobile and can make sense.....

Is being super maticulous about it a good idea if you really into getting that perfect contact, or is it just fluff/placebo that doesn't actually do anything?
See bold/underlined section. Its a waste of your time. You should focus on a proper mount of the heatsink and your paste application before you worry about this jazz as it will make no measurable difference. None.

Now that I am not mobile and can make sense.....

See bold/underlined section. Its a waste of your time. You should focus on a proper mount of the heatsink and your paste application before you worry about this jazz as it will make no measurable difference. None.

I already do focus on making sure it's mounted correctly. I very carefully put the heatsinks on the die after pasting it, including cross securing it(tighting down the diagnolly placed screw from the first). I'm very careful about mounting my heatsinks.

I like it, nice and clean, and super sterile...
but mostly unpractical for this lazy me :chair:

I do rub the paste waste from the previous mount with IPA as well.
it did best for this job (does a window cleaner solutions polished with water count for the job? :rofl:).
I've tried the medical alcohol in the past, but worse when it compared to IPA. I think it still leave some previous paste residue on the ihs.

but hey, why don't you record your temps with different cleaning methods?
let's say, your current ipa with upside down so nothing touch and contaminated the surface.
and second, just wipe with ipa (this time without upside down).
you can add another methods or cleaning agents if you like to.

I think that would be interesting :D

I'd put money that they would all report within 1c and IF there was a difference it would be due to mounting variables (i.e. amount of paste, mounting pressure, lunar cycle). Keep in mind that software and even MB sensors aren't very accurate to begin with.

I'd put money that they would all report within 1c and IF there was a difference it would be due to mounting variables (i.e. amount of paste, mounting pressure, lunar cycle). Keep in mind that software and even MB sensors aren't very accurate to begin with.
:thup::clap:

Just to further the conversation. I'm curious how effective even using IPA is.

My thoughts: Using IPA removes the residuals from the micro grooves. Applying new paste fills those grooves back in. Why the need for redundancy? Unless the paste is super old and dried up I don't see the need for "sterile" cleaning.

I still do the IPA step most of the time out of habit, but is it truly necessary? I have skipped that step in the past with no ill effect.

:shrug:

My thoughts: Using IPA removes the residuals from the micro grooves. Applying new paste fills those grooves back in. Why the need for redundancy? Unless the paste is super old and dried up I don't see the need for "sterile" cleaning.

I still do the IPA step most of the time out of habit, but is it truly necessary? I have skipped that step in the past with no ill effect.

Ran out of thanks so............. QFT!

I never use IPA (weird to say IPA and have it not be beer!) these days.

TBH, I got my IPA for other purpose as well :D

I started cleaning with the IPA after I found out that it really easy to remove an old blob of dried paste residue reside in a hidden place like the pins of an AMD processor (helped with a toothbrush).
I can't do that before I use the IPA.
yes, I had no ill effect as well when I just rub the surface with a piece of paper towel or even using the window cleaner liquid (I think it's mainly soap).
I keep using the IPA since it's still the cheapest among other, and always have it nearby.

I think the ultra sterile won't be necessary as well, futher it'll be hard to achieve.
as for now I'm clueless of how to cover the die surface after I apply the new TIM, anyway.

but since covering the base of the heatsink with a piece of paper towel won't be that hard, so why won't I do that if I can get a constant better temps?
if the test results (which hopefully will be carried out by the kind OP :chair:) tells us so, of cource :D

He can test it, but as Blaylock said, the difference likely wont be much, and there are other variables that need to be considered first (consistent mount/TIM application to name the big ones). Im afraid not many people, likely including the OP couldn't test it PROPERLY. It would be anecdotal at best.

He can test it, but as Blaylock said, the difference likely wont be much, and there are other variables that need to be considered first (consistent mount/TIM application to name the big ones). Im afraid not many people, likely including the OP couldn't test it PROPERLY. It would be anecdotal at best.

kapish!
OOTWTBGFS

@op
I don't mind even if I should read them on your blog :salute:

...easy to remove an old blob of dried paste residue reside in a hidden place like the pins of an AMD processor (helped with a toothbrush)...

Wait WHA?!?!?!

Why on earth would there be paste there. Some pastes are conductive and WILL kill sh... er stuff.

Back