• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Die-MX4-Waterblock...or...Die-CLU-Spreader-MX4-Waterblock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nicky9499

Registered
Main question as above, which one would you guys choose if longevity (1yr+ before next maintenance) is a consideration?

I have decided to delid my 3770K and now that I'm switching to a waterblock instead of a fat, heavy heatsink - much lower chances of cracking the die and easier to mount properly - direct die contact has become an option too. I'm aware of the pump out effect (option A) and the surface degradation caused by liquid metals (option B).

Obviously the best option is to combine both and do direct contact with CLU but as I do not wish to create permanent marks on my block this is not possible.

If you have other suggestions for what thermal interface should be used for direct contact or any mounting ideas at all please feel free to throw them out here too.

When I delidded my 3570k, I used MX4 only. I noticed about 8mos later temps started to climb a tad and I had to redo the MX4. No big deal. With my 4790K I used NT-H1 and haven't touched it since. It's been about 8-9mos. You've already answered your own question regarding CLU. ;)

You might just have to redo the TIM within 8mos/1yr intervals.

Ah, thanks for the advice re: MX4. This tube has served me well for almost 2 years now perhaps when it's finished I'll get the Noctua.

Regarding "answering my own question" I think I should clarify; I'm ok with having it mess up the bottom of the spreader since it's always going to be paired with the die if I'm going for Option B. CLU+Spreader, yes. CLU+HSF/block, no. So, will direct die with regular TIM fare better than spreader and CLU under it?

Between CLU and MX4, you might see a degree or 2 difference. Nothing really to write home about. Choice is yours really.

Back