• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Difference between Thoroughbred and Palamino?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alacritan

This guy at work crushed his processor installing a heatsink so he needs a new processor and he wants me to install it. His motherboard, a Soyo SY-K7ADA, only supports up to a 2100+ Palomino, but doesn't support Thoroughbreds according to the website. They're both Socket A, 1.73Ghz, 266FSB. This is where it becomes difficult. I can't even find a 2100+ Palomino unless it's a Mobile processor. The only desktop 2100+ I can find is a Thoroughbred. So it's .13 micron and runs at 1.6vcore (instead of .18 micron and 1.75vcore) but couldn't I still use one?

Last edited:
Well chances are it doesn't offically support it. But if the board has 1.6v. And the chip is the same speed, chances are it will run just fine. I've installed plenty of chips on boards that "don't support" certain CPUs.

It should run, but I don't really know how the Ali magik chipset behaves, I know that a KT133A didn't like a Tbred with high multies (x13 and up) and 133Mhz FSB, unless it was x17 multi. Its an old board really. I guess its worth the $50 for the TbredB 2100+ to try and see if it works.
You can also look on ebay for a CPU

I didn't give the different multiplier any thought. Good point. But I figure the Palomino ran at a higher vcore, so it's not like it won't have sufficient voltage for a newer chip. If it's 2-3C warmer as a result, no big deal.

maybe you can try socket-A adapters like this or something like it:

http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/xptmc/xptmc.htm

xptmc-p1.gif

there might me other brands,so look and ask around ;)

Eh, if it doesn't like high multipliers I'll just jack up the FSB for him. He's going to be getting PQI Turbo 2-2-2-5 PC-2700 RAM, and he only needs PC-2100 so everything should work out okay barring some unforseen shenanigans.

I know my 2500+ Barton ran in my old Gigabyte M7VKD (pretty sure of the model #), I just had to overclock the FSB. Worked okay despite the mobo being nearly dead anyway. It still runs (my friend has it), it just reboots randomly, but it's been doing that for two years now regardless of which processor I used.

Back