• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Differences fo PCI to AGP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yuriman said:
Apply it thinly and evenly over the chipset(gpu). Make sure that not much or any will squeeze out when you put the heatsink on, the thinner the better. [/QUOTE

exactly as yuriman said. like a drop,just enough to do it.

OK the thinner the better got it. Great, what about ramsinks? Really neccessary? My Iceberg came with four. I read something on the manual advising me to use thermal tape? Why not grease? Whats the difference?

The ramsinks will fall off, lol. Thermal tape is sticky, and will hold it on. Specialty epoxy will do the same job, but you wont ever get the sinks off. They are not necessary on that card, because I believe the pci version comes with 166mhz ddr as opposed to the 200 and 250mhz agp versions.

SantiMun said:
OK the thinner the better got it. Great, what about ramsinks? Really neccessary? My Iceberg came with four. I read something on the manual advising me to use thermal tape? Why not grease? Whats the difference?

Ok, ramsinks are good if the ram gets hot. some cards dont but the ramsinks cant hurt.

Using the tape will secure them to the modules,the grease will have them sliding all over the place.

EDIT: DONT USE TAPE AND GREASE TOGETHER.

Thats it, you guys answered every single question I had. I swear I've had faster and better responses from you guys in a few days than I have had from Dell and other phone help services in the past month. Thanks again for all your help!!

This is the last question I promise. But I don't think even you guys can answer this one. The main reason I'm getting rid of my 9200se is that it takes forever for my monitor to switch resolutions when playing a game. The current resolution I have for my desktop is 1024X768. For some reason, whenever I start a program that needs to switch resolutions (a game or emulator) my monitor goes blank and the Dell "self monitor check" thingy goes on (usually that happens when you turn your computer off but leave your monitor on). This last for at least 5 seconds and then goes into the appropriate resolution. It gets annoying really quickly. This didn't happen before when I was just using my intel extreme graphics on board chip. I'm afraid this has something to do from me using a PCI card. I installed the current drivers and even reinstalled them so I know its not that. Please tell me its because my 9200se was faulty and my new one will not have that problem.

Yuriman said:
The ramsinks will fall off, lol. Thermal tape is sticky, and will hold it on. Specialty epoxy will do the same job, but you wont ever get the sinks off. They are not necessary on that card, because I believe the pci version comes with 166mhz ddr as opposed to the 200 and 250mhz agp versions.

Sorry bout the me posting the same thing as you yuriman.

We must have been typing at the same time.

SantiMun said:
This is the last question I promise. But I don't think even you guys can answer this one. The main reason I'm getting rid of my 9200se is that it takes forever for my monitor to switch resolutions when playing a game. The current resolution I have for my desktop is 1024X768. For some reason, whenever I start a program that needs to switch resolutions (a game or emulator) my monitor goes blank and the Dell "self monitor check" thingy goes on (usually that happens when you turn your computer off but leave your monitor on). This last for at least 5 seconds and then goes into the appropriate resolution. It gets annoying really quickly. This didn't happen before when I was just using my intel extreme graphics on board chip. I'm afraid this has something to do from me using a PCI card. I installed the current drivers and even reinstalled them so I know its not that. Please tell me its because my 9200se was faulty and my new one will not have that problem.

I have heard of this before and it is not because your using a pci card ,but something else that I forgot now.

Back