• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Difficult 8800GTS issue - Black screen on drivers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jastheace

To start, I'll give you a little bit of background on my problem.

I won a PC in a contest, and it happened to have a nvidia 7800GT in it. The card gave me lots of problems and had strange texture issues in some games, and artifacting in most. I put an x850pro in and all games/etc work fine. I finally got nvidia to replace the card, and they sent me a pny 8800GTS 320mb.

I've tried everything besides formatting to try to get this card to work in windows xp, and to no luck. Every time I can boot in VGA mode just fine, run DC pro, restart, and when I reinstall, I get a black screen (not out of range of my monitor, just a pure black screen) and the system will dump/reboot. I have tried under vista and the card works great but my onboard sound isn't supported.

I am hesistant to reformat as I have a lot of programs I use as a computer science student that would take a very long time to reinstall, as well as some games that have insane updates.

7800GT - PCI-E
x850Pro - AGP
8800GTS - PCI-E

System:

ASUS P5VD1-X - physical x16 slot, virtual x4 lane
Pentium 4-D - 2.8ghz
2GB DDR
PNY 8800GTS

Back