• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dirth of enthusiast level FM2+ motherbards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Seems to me there aren't all that many choices out there for enthusiast level FM2+ motherboards at this time, ones with stout power phase components I mean. And what little there is, there seems to be a lot of dissatisfaction with as I read the customer reviews on Egg.

Last edited:
Seems to me there aren't all that many choices out there for enthusiast level AM2+ motherboards at this time, ones with stout power phase components I mean. And what little there is, there seems to be a lot of dissatisfaction with as I read the customer reviews on Egg.

You really cannot trust the reviews on newegg. Trust what people here say about a particular motherboard, instead of a review by someone with a supposedly high "tech level."

I know there are no lack of tech idiot reviews on Egg but when you start to see patterns with regard to a particular product in the reviews . . .

- - - Updated - - -

I've had a few.
Something you'd like to ask about?

What would you recommend?

Gigabyte 790X-UD4P
Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe
DFI Lanparty DK (790X or 790FX)

Those would be the cream of the crop choices for AM2+.
Not in any particular order.
I've had all of these at one time or another. All have their pros and cons.
I still bench the Gig board, so you know what works for me.

Ha! Ha! Me oh my! I meant to type FM2+.

Let me go back and edit that thread title.

I was wondering why you were asking about an old platform! may want to edit the OP as well (still states AM2) :)

I was wondering why you were asking about an old platform! may want to edit the OP as well (still states AM2) :)

Title and post text both fixed now. Thanks for catching that.

Bought a GIGABYTE GA-F2A88X-UP4 FM2+ a while back for my dad with his A10-7850 I was able to Oc to 4.5 on air with it. He's been using it stock for a bit over a year without issue Mr T.

Yeah, Manny, that looks like a good one but not many others.

LOL had a nice chuckle there. Sub'd too as I might be building an HTPC/Gamer off this platform in the next year.

I can't remember for sure the model of board that bassnut lent me to push his 7850 with I think it was the AsUS A88x plus IIRC. Either way the board would work well for normal users but for my self with the CPU at 5.0 it ran out of gas to push the IGPU. If I dropped the CPU clock I could raise the GPU clock.
For everyday users I don't think these CPUs "need" quite as much power as their FX kin do. But if I were buying for myself to bench would likely get the Crossblade.

If I'm right then Gigabyte has problems with high clocks. When I was looking for good FM2+ board then the best in rankings was ASRock Extreme6 and I saw many negative opinions about GB and MSI. Most FM2+ boards had some problems with CPU/RAM ratios, high CPU clocks, voltage limits etc.
I actually had 2 ASRock Ext6, 1st died in couple of hours :D ... I made 6GHz on A8-6600K without bigger problems.

Now I wonder how ITX FM2+ boards are overclocking ...

Last edited:
I can't remember for sure the model of board that bassnut lent me to push his 7850 with I think it was the AsUS A88x plus IIRC. Either way the board would work well for normal users but for my self with the CPU at 5.0 it ran out of gas to push the IGPU. If I dropped the CPU clock I could raise the GPU clock.
For everyday users I don't think these CPUs "need" quite as much power as their FX kin do. But if I were buying for myself to bench would likely get the Crossblade.

I'll post a li.k for that board when I get home. Now that was a mATX as well, not sure how it would stack up against a full size ATX board. Looking for a sff board left me even less to choose from.

Seems to me there aren't all that many choices out there for enthusiast level FM2+ motherboards at this time, ones with stout power phase components I mean. And what little there is, there seems to be a lot of dissatisfaction with as I read the customer reviews on Egg.

I have a Crossblade Ranger and a ASUS A88X-PRO both currently with 860K's and I can attest that they are very good boards with high quality components just like my Sabertooth R2. Obviously they aren't made with a 9590 in mind but they are very, very good overclocking boards with the FM2 and FM2+ cpu's and apu's. 6+2. Nice heatsinks. Digital vrm's.

- - - Updated - - -

You really cannot trust the reviews on newegg. Trust what people here say about a particular motherboard, instead of a review by someone with a supposedly high "tech level."

Newegg reviews are about on par with Tom's Hardware Forum. Which is to say weak.

Back